Keep My Heart- 6

The greenery of Hawke's Vale glimmered and waved in the gentle breeze of the afternoon. The bushes under the windows greeted those peeking outside, trembling within the moving air. Birds fluttered from tree to tree, like shooting stars against the clarity of the sky. The house was so magnificent, and everyone who saw it knew that it had been built with hardwork and by hand.

The interior was just as fine. Each piece was expensive and had been carefully selected, to a "T." From the clock on the mantel, to the Oriental carpet in the gentleman's parlor--all of it was handsome and well maintained. There were six guest rooms upstairs, on the far end of the hall. Each was equipped with a four poster bed and canopy which hung gloriously from the ceiling. There were mahoganoy wardrobes in each, and a small, private sitting room.

Downstairs, separate from the other rooms, there remained a vacant ballroom. It had never been used, but it was always spotless and dustless. The servants found it to be quite odd when the petite Mrs. Hawke threw the doors open, and said that the windows would need to be dusted, the floor scrubbed, and the silver candelbaras would need to be polished.

"Also, the paddock and the courtyard need to be tidied up a bit," she said politely, and softly, with a kind smile.

"Why, ma'am, if I may ask." The soft spoken red haired servant quested for an answer in Olivia's eyes, for their mistress was not a socialite in any way, shape, or form.

"We shall be hosting a party, in honor of Mr. Hawke's brother and sister-in-law coming to visit," she replied with a tight, forced smile. With that, she turned and walked briskly away, leaving all too much to the imagination of the servants. It was a pretty day, and Adam said that they would go into the city and see a play. Well, Olivia had a better idea. She would begin preparing for a party. No, not as she had said, in honor.

This party was to be in favor of her. Yes, it was quite funny that now, she knew the truth of Rashleigh and his financial issues. She knew that Georgiana must be squirming with discomfort. She was doubly certain that Rashleigh had spent all of his wealthy wife's money, fueling his fettish for gambling and women. It really was too bad, she thought, with a wicked smile. Georgiana Greene had been a friend to her before anyone in the ton even glanced at her. Georgie had instructed Olivia on how to carry herself, and how to make friends.

With such thought, Olivia bounded up the stairs. She must find her husband and inform him of her plans. The reflection that perhaps he might object did not cross her mind, for she knew he would give her what she wanted. And usually, she did not abuse this power, nor did she analyze it's source. But this situation would take everything she had, to keep herself from going mad. She would throw her party and she would have her way. She would flaunt in his face everything that she had. Yes, he had sent her to his older brother--the largest mistake of his life. And now, he would pay for it. On the surface, it appeared that she had everything she could want or imagine. The house she lived in was grand, and her husband had a great deal of money.

More than Rashleigh had.

He had fallen asleep, and was surprised when there were a series of small, quiet knocks at his door. At first, Adam was not entirely aware of his surroundings and thought that he was on the Sun Goddess. He began to roll over and ignore it, but then he heard: "It's Olivia." He sat up, immediately. Then, he was acutely and astutely aware of the fact that he was home, in Hawke's Vale. Adam swung his legs over his bed, "Come in."

Oh, and in she came. The wonder and awe did not show up on his face, but it was there. The pride he had in the fact that she was his never, ever failed, nor did it fade. The cool, darkness of the room sat on her angular face like the veil of a bride.