I smell Trouble

(Jakie two months pregnant...)

Jakie's POV

After my most recent trip to the doctor's, I could safely give birth in three more months. I kept one hand on my belly as I drove. Out of my rearview mirror I could see this same blue Toyota following my silver Honda Civic.

I had to tap into my maniacal driving skills to lose whoever it was, but I eventually did. I hope they didn't get a picture of my licence plate. Then I would be in deep dodo. I bit my lip the last bit of the way back to Ruby's house. My fears were confirmed when someone came to the door when I just closed it.

I panicked and masked the scent of myself and my baby. I answered the door and saw the guy from the supermarket was there. I gave a shriek, way out of my normal character. "Ah! you've been following me!" I said in a voice an octave above my own, like I did at the market. He gave me a cold stare. "I know who you are now, Jaklynn Victor." I showed no reaction to the name. "I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. My name is Anna Baker." I said, my voice still disguised.

He gave a cocky snort, then checked to see if I was lying. I saw the grin slide off his face when he couldn't find any evidence that I was lying. "I'm sorry sir, but I don't know who you're looking for. Was that all?" I asked in my disguised voice. He grunted a yes then left. I didn't bother to show my scent and my baby's scent until I saw the car drive off out of sight.

Then it hit me. The perfect name. Aviva, meaning "Spring".  "Ruby! I've got the perfect baby name!" I shouted as I went looking. I found her with Alexa, watching cartoons. "Really?" Ruby asked. I nodded eagerly as the name formed. "Aviva Alma Victor. Initials A.A.V" I said happily. Ruby jumped up and gave me a hug. "Oh, that's great, Jakie!" she said. I hugged her back and giggled. Alexa jumped up too.

She looked at my tummy. "Baby in there?" she asked, pointing towards my very obvious bump. "Yes, Lexi. In there." I answered with a laugh. Alexa looked at me odd. "You ate it. You ate the baby!" she said unhappily. I guess she decided to abandon baby sentences and go for real ones. "No, I didn't eat it. Lexi, the baby has to grow inside before she can be born." I said calmly. Alexa didn't look convinced but dropped it.

Then a scent hit my nose. It smelled kinda like mischief. "Ruby, I smell trouble, if that's even possible." I said. Her face paled and she took Alexa and I upstairs. There was a vault in the closet and that's were we hid. She went to go open the door as someone opened it.

_____________________________________________________________________

Ruby's POV (Yay! Who's at the door?)

I opened the door and gaped at the sight. The spot on my neck where my mating mark had once been prickled. Marcel. "Marcel, what are you doing here?" I asked uncertainly. He chuckled and it sent involuntary shivers down my spin. "Isn't it obvious? I'm here for you. I'm sorry." he said. I sensed that he was lying and didn't move.

"Marcel, why are you really here?" I asked. He shifted uncomfortably back and forth on each foot. He handed me a folded piece of paper. "The King and Queen authorized this yesterday. I may not love you anymore, but I thought you deserved to know." he said kindly. There was a lie in that sentence. He did love me. I unfolded the paper and read.

Dear loyal wolves,

This decree states that all she-wolves must be mated within the next year and if not mated by that time, all he-wolves and she-wolves shall be rounded up and deposited in an arena to take part in the mating games. If any she-wolves still remain unmated, they shall be forced to move to a camp with other unmated wolves to increase the likelihood of finding their mate. If never found, the unmated wolves shall be slaughtered. Any unmated but pregnant she-wolf with have her child forcibly taken away and the mother slaughtered. Above is the new law which shall be taking hold next year.

In other news, our son Jared shall be king. He will rule along with his mate and Queen Jayla. It will be the first time in our history an elemental shall be ruling but the utmost respect is deserved for them.

Sincerely,

Queen Uma and King Reginald III

I felt my face whiten as I finished. "They can't be serious!" I said desperately. Marcel looked forlorn. "They are, Ruby. I'm sorry, but you'll have to die." he said coldly. I looked him straight in the eyes and saw the faintest spark of love, but it was buried. "I'm not going to die, Marcel. There is no way." I said coldly and slammed the door in his face. I heard his angry steps as he left and the roar of a car engine.

I gazed down at the piece of paper in my hand and left it on the coffee table. I went to let Jakie and Alexa out at the vault. "Jakie, you were right. Trouble was at the door in the form of M-A-R-C-E-L." I said as I spelled it out. Jakie gave a small chuckle. If only I could laugh.

"Actually, there's something else. Read the paper on the coffee table. It's from the royals." I said sadly as Jakie merely looked puzzled. She went and looked then came back pale faced 10 minutes later. "I can't believe they'll give up the crown to an elemental. I don't want to see what would happen if Prince Jared became mad with power." She said quietly. That was one of my fears too.

_____________________________________________________________________

Haha, just when you guys thought it was dying down, BOOM!! You guys didn't lose faith in me or this story, did you? *Sad puppy dog eyes* Anyway, it's only gonna get more interesting from here.

W.L.W

Vote! Follow! Comment!