The howler

No one slept the whole night. Ginny sat beside me and said, "It wasn't your fault, Neville".

"It was. You don't have to lie", I said.

"No one got hurt, right?", she said.

"Harry would have died if Ron hadn't seen Black", I said.

"Don't think of it like this. Maybe, someone could have stole the password from you", she said.

"No. I dropped it. I was the one who was idiotic enough to write it and lose it", I said.

"Neville", she said.

"Don't try to console me", I said.

Professor McGonagall told everyone that they weren't allowed to help me get into the common room. However Dean and Seamus helped me.

My grandmother sent me a howler two days later.

"Run for it, Neville," Ron advised.

I seized it and ran into the entrance hall. The howler exploded open and I heard my grandmother go on about the usual. I was a disgrace to the Longbottom family. My mom and dad were brave Gryffindors and Aurors. I was nothing compared to them. I was a clumsy, good for nothing and useless grandson.

I was getting used to this speech actually. The howler tore itself up and I saw professor Lupin staring at me.

"Are you okay, Neville? ", he asked.

"Yeah", I said, dusting my robes.

"Are you upset? ", he asked.

"No. I'm used to this. After all she is right. I'm a coward and a disgrace. It's fine", I said.

Lupin was staring at me, sadly.

"I have to go now, professor", I said.

I saw Hannah, Ernie, Susan and Justin  standing near the entrance.

"What happened?", I asked.

All four of them hugged me.

"Don't listen to your grandma. She doesn't know you at all. You are the bravest person I've ever met", Hannah said.

"All of us know it's a lie", I said.

"You meet your parents five times a year even after what happened to them. You stood up to Harry because you didn't want them to be in trouble. You stood up to us when we were wrong. You are terrified of Snape but you attend each of his classes without fail. How is all this not bravery?", Hannah said.

"Hmm well", I said, my voice cracking.

"If you want to cry, don't hesitate Neville. We won't judge you", Susan said.

"Thank you", I said and hugged them tighter.

Someone coughed near us. We broke the hug to see Snape glaring at us.

"Are you jealous of us, sir? ", said Ernie and all of us ran to our classes before Snape could take any points off Gryffindor or Hufflepuff.