Tortured by tea leaves

I woke up, showered and changed into robes. Dean and Seamus were still sleeping.

"Dean,wake up. It's late", I said shaking him.

He jerked awake and looked at his watch, "Neville, there's still a lot of time", he said.

I glared at him and proceeded to wake Seamus.

"Two minutes, mom", he said.

"I'm not your mom", I said.

After a lot of struggle, Seamus woke up. I told them that I would be in the Great Hall and climbed downstairs.

I walked to Hagrid's hut and knocked on the door. Hagrid opened the door.

"Um hello sir. I'm Neville Longbottom ", I said.

"The one with the toad, right? ", he asked.

I nodded and he asked, "Why are you here? ".

"Er sir I just wanted to wish you luck for your first lesson", I said.

"Thank you, Neville. And you can call me Hagrid by the way", he said.

I smiled at him and said, "I'm running late, Hagrid. See you later".

I walked into the Great Hall and started eating. Malfoy was imitating Harry.

"Trust Malfoy to spoil your mood", I thought.

Dean and Seamus entered the Great Hall and started eating. We recieved our timetables and I glanced at the first period "Divination ".

Harry, Ron and Hermione entered the hall and saw Malfoy. Harry looked like he would probably kill Malfoy.

"Hey, Potter!" shrieked Pansy Parkinson, a Slytherin girl with a face like a pug. "Potter! The Dementors are coming, Potter! Woooooooooo!"

"Let's go", Dean said.

Seamus and I nodded and left for our divination classroom.

We walked towards the North tower for what seemed like hours, turning and climbing, finally we reached the classroom.

A ladder was hanging from the ceiling. Dean climbed up first, then Seamus and I finally climbed up.

"Ew", Dean said, looking at the classroom. Seamus and I agreed with him, the classroom did look ugly.

There were many small round tables and ugly looking chairs and stools. On one end of the room, in a cupboard were several items dumped. All the curtains were drawn and ugly lamps were hanging.

"They couldn't find a smaller classroom? ", Seamus asked.

I chuckled and we sat at a table.  

We kept talking about Black and the classroom started filling in. Harry, Ron and Hermione were the last to enter.

"Welcome. How nice to see you in the physical world at last.", a voice said.

I almost jumped out of my chair on hearing it.

Dean and Seamus were staring blankly.

Professor Trelawney entered the classroom. She was wearing a myriad of chains and rings. Her small face was hidden behind a big pair of glasses.

All of stood up out of fright, but she mistook it for respect and said, "Sit, my children, sit,".

All of us sat down rather reluctantly.

"Welcome to Divination," said Professor Trelawney, who had seated herself in a winged armchair in front of the fire.

"My name is Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before. I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye."

"Trust Dumbledore to find such weirdos ", Dean muttered and I suppressed a smile.

"So you have chosen to study Divination, the most difficult of all magical arts. I must warn you at the outset that if you do not have the Sight, there is very little I will be able to teach you...Books can take you only so far in this field. Many witches and wizards, talented though they are in the area of loud bangs and smells and sudden disappearings, are yet unable to penetrate the veiled mysteries of the future,"

I yawned and suddenly Professor Trelawney said "It is a Gift granted to few. You, boy,"

I stared at her ,"Is your grandmother well?", she said.

"I think so," I said.

"I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, dear," she said.

I didn't listen to anything she said after that.

"What would happen to my grandma? Even though she was strict at times, I loved her and if something happens to her. What will I do? Maybe professor McGonagall will pity and adopt me.Or I may be moved to an orphanage ", I thought.

Dean and Seamus kicked me under the chair and said, " Don't believe her, Neville. Your grandmother will be alright".

She kept talking about tea leaves and palmistry and told Parvati Patil to be beware of a red haired man and then something about Crystal balls and that in February, there will be flu and professor Trelawney will lose her voice.

" If she keeps talking like this, she will lose it anytime now", Seamus said.

I chuckled yet I was still thinking of my grandma.

"And in Easter one of our number will leave us forever", she said.

Dean, Seamus and I exchanged nervous glances with each other.