The sorting

We got down at the Hogsmeade station and Ginny Weasley ran up to me.

"Hi, Neville", she said.

"Hey, Ginny", I said.

"You haven't told anyone that Harry fainted right? ", she asked.

"Potter fainted? Thank you weasel ", Malfoy said from behind us.

Colour drained out of Ginny's face.

"Shut up Malfoy. You would have died of fright on seeing it", I snapped back.

Malfoy looked taken aback but slipped out of sight quickly.

Ernie, Susan and Hannah got into a carriage and Dean, Seamus and Justin got into another carriage.

I shared a carriage with Ginny. She was awfully silent for the whole of the ride.

As soon as got down, Malfoy sneered, " You fainted Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You fainted? ".

"Shove off Malfoy", Ron said.

Ginny looked at me with surprise.

"It's okay", I mouthed to her.

I felt bad for Harry, the news would have spread throughout the school by now.

"I'm sorry, Neville. But why didn't Malfoy say it was you? ", Ginny said.

" I told him to shut up right? It's his way of getting back at me", I said.

We entered the Great Hall and sat down at the table. Ginny sat beside me and Dean and Seamus sat on my other side. Ron was sitting alone opposite us.

The Great Hall looked as splendid as usual. The man who gave us chocolate was sitting at the teacher's table.

"Must be the new DADA professor", I thought.

"He had gotten rid of that thing in the train. He must be good. But after Lockhart, anyone is better", I thought.

Snape was glaring daggers at the new professor, jealousy and hatred evident in his eyes.

The sorting hat was placed on a stool and the first years were standing around it.

The hat began to sing-

A thousand years or more ago
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:

Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.

Now each of these four founders
Formed their own house, for each
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.

By Gryffindor, the bravest were
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
Would always be the best;

For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Loved those of great ambition.

While still alive they did divide
Their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?

Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!

Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind,
And tell where you belong.

This time, professor Flitwick read out the names and the students were sorted.

The first to be sorted was Carmichael, Eddie who was a Hufflepuff.

Codden, Lydia went into Hufflepuff.

Coote, Ritchie went into Slytherin.

Frobisher, Victoria went into Ravenclaw.

Higgs, Terence went into Hufflepuff.

Hooper,Geoffrey became the first Gryffindor.

Kirke, Andrew was also sorted into Gryffindor.

Maltby, Bernard went into Ravenclaw

Professor Flitwick read the names of many students and all of them were sorted.

The last student to be sorted was Zeller, Rose who was sorted into Slytherin.

Hermione and Harry sat down beside Ron and Dumbledore started his speech, " Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.Good luck, professor".

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more timewith his remaining limbs. Fortunately,I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid".

"Finally, on a more disquieting note at the request of the Ministry of Magic Hogwarts will, until further notice,play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured.The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities a word of caution.Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they huntand the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you.It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving".

Food appeared on our plates and I started eating some dish with bacon and a dish with potatoes. We finished eating and walked upstairs to our common room.

I was talking with Ginny when I saw professor McGonagall hugging professor Lupin in a motherly way.

Ginny and I were staring at them, in surprise because we had never seen professor McGonagall showing any sign of affection.

We climbed the stairs and I wished goodnight to Ginny and fell asleep.

"I should apologize to Harry tomorrow ", I thought.

First of all, I'm sorry, the sorting hat song is taken from Harry's fourth year. I tried to make up a new song but I couldn't. I'm extremely sorry. And some people are blaming me for patronizing Neville, showing like he was brave from the first book. It's just he was brave from the first book but Harry didn't notice it. I'm trying to water it down, honestly. And I'm trying to create a strong friendship between Neville and Ginny so that in the last book, you won't feel like they barely interacted.

I know the last two chapters are more boring than the others, but believe me I'm working hard to make these better. It's just that my personal life is a bit horrible now so it kind of keeps showing up in my stories. Please vote, comment and read the story and thank you all for your support as usual.