Beating a Boggart

Professor Lupin shouted, "Parvati! Forward!"

Snape became a bloodstained mummy.

"Riddikulus!" cried Parvati.

A bandage unraveled at the mummy's feet; it became entangled, fell face forward, and its head rolled off.

"Seamus!" roared Professor Lupin.

Seamus darted past Parvati.

It became a banshee.

"Riddikulus!" shouted Seamus.

Soon it became a rat, a rattlesnake and then a single eyeball.

"It's confused!" shouted Lupin. "We're getting there! Dean!"

Dean hurried forward.

It became a severed hand.

"Riddikulus!" yelled Dean.

There was a snap, and the hand was trapped in a mousetrap.

"Excellent! Ron, you next!"

Ron leapt forward.

Quite a few people screamed. A giant spider, six feet tall and covered in hair, was advancing on Ron, clicking its pincers menacingly. He was staring at it not moving.

"Riddikulus!" bellowed Ron, and the spider's legs vanished.

"Here!" shouted Professor Lupin suddenly, hurrying forward.

The legless spider had vanished. In it's place was a big Crystal ball.

"Forward, Neville, and finish him off!" said Lupin. I stepped forward and it changed back to Snape.

"Riddikulus!" I shouted. The boggart burst into several piece and was gone.

"Excellent!" cried Professor Lupin as the class broke into applause. "Excellent, Neville. Well done, everyone...Let me see...five points to Gryffindor for every person to tackle the Boggart -- ten for Neville because he did it twice...and five each to Hermione and Harry."

"But I didn't do anything," said Harry.

"You and Hermione answered my questions correctly at the start of the class, Harry," Lupin said lightly. "Very well, everyone, an excellent lesson. Homework, kindly read the chapter on Boggarts and summarize it for me...to be handed in on Monday. That will be all."

"Neville, one second, meet me in my office at five", he said.

"Yes, professor. You are the best teacher we ever had", I say.

"Thanks", he said smiling.

"Did you see me take that banshee?"  Seamus was shouting in my ear.

"And the hand!" Dean shouted back.

"And Snape in that hat!", I said.

"And my mummy!", Parvati joined our conversation.

"I wonder why Professor Lupin's frightened of crystal balls?" said Lavender thoughtfully.

I was thinking about it too.