46

I revved my engine, ready to go. Adrenaline ran through my veins and I couldn't keep still. Damien signaled for us to go and I sped off with my opponent, Ethan, right behind me.

  Ethan came up beside me and passed by. I pressed my foot down a little firmer on the gas pedal and caught up with Ethan quickly. We took a turn side by side. One more turn to go before speeding to the end.

  I passed Ethan and drifted the last corner. I slammed my foot onto the pedal, shifting gears to pull the front of the car up. My car zoomed forward on its back wheels and slammed onto the ground seconds before passing the finish line. Ethan caught up with me only seconds later. We got out and Ethan came to me.

  "Congrats Carter," he shook my hand, "you did good."

  "Thank you," I smiled.

  "May I ask though? How did you do that wheely trick?"

  I chuckled, "I'll show you sometime."

"Deal," he grinned and walked away.

I laughed as I headed for my friends, "I won!" I screamed.

"You won!" Amy and April screamed back as the girls ran at me. I got tackled by the girls with the football team soon joining in.

"Get off me you oafs!! I'm not Hulk!!" I breathed out.

Everyone counted to ten before moving and Dean came to help me up. "Thanks. I won!" I squealed. I was excited. I have the chance to race professionally now. I'm freaking out right now.

"I know, I saw. I'm proud of you angel," he hugged me and kissed my forehead.

"Stop hogging my sister! I need a hug from my little champ too!" Seth yelled as he joined the group.

I rolled my eyes, "two minutes Seth! Two minutes!"

"I know. I just love rubbing it in your face," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes again but hugged my brother. "I'm proud of you Z. Mom is too. I just texted her. She says she's so sorry she couldn't make it and will make it up to you soon."

"I'm gonna hold her to that," I teased.

"That's what I told her. She laughed and hung up on me."

I pulled back a bit, "mom hung up on you?" He nodded and I started laughing, "told you I was her favorite. She's never hung up on me before."

"Brat."

"Jerk."

"Bitch."

We laughed and pulled away. Everyone felt the need to hug me inland say congrats individually which took a while but once it was over I hopped on Seth's back. He gave me a piggie back ride to my car.

I sat down on the hood and waited for Damien and the scouts to come over. I didn't have to wait long as Damien soon walked up.

"Your cash malady," Damien held out his hand and I gladly took the money. I quickly counted it and stuffed it in my pockets.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"The scouts'll be over here soon. I gotta go document this so see you later?"

I nodded, "definitely."

"I'm gonna hold you to that miss professional racer," Damien teased.

"Promise I'll be back. I still got a couple years in college."

He pointed at me, "true."

I pointed at him, "I know."

He laughed and walked away. The scouts soon came to talk to me and fill me in on the details of my position.

~~~

I fell back on my couch and laid my arm over my eyes. I was exhausted. I've been running around since I was discharged this morning. I was ready for bed.

Just as I was gonna head to bed, a knock sounded on my door. Then again, we don't always get what we want.

I opened the door to see all my friends, "what'd you want?" I whined, "I'm tired and wanna sleep."

"Soon... but now," Daniel said as they all walked in.

"Why not?"

"Because we have to celebrate!" Amy squealed, pulling out a bottle of whiskey from her bag.

I raised a brow, "have fun with that. I'm going to bed. Night."

"Nope!" Dean came out from the bedroom, "if they're here, you might as well be awake and spend time with them."

"Why do you care? You've never cared before," I pointed out.

"That's because before I did just let you bat your lashes and say yes. But not anymore! You will stay awake and you will stay out here with your friends and you will have fun," Dean commanded with a serious look and tone.

I was taken aback at first but a glance at Seth and we both fell over laughing. "Sure sweetie. Sure," I teased and patted his cheek, "whatever makes you happy."

That gesture made everyone else laugh and soon we were a jumble of fits and giggles sprawled on the floor. I stayed awake and hung out with my friends until around 2am before heading to bed. I pulled a half drunk Dean with me and sat him down on the bed.

I handed him a trash can, "I will not have you puke on me in our sleep."

He nodded and I headed back out to the living room to help get everyone accommodated. I grabbed extra blankets and pillows from the hall closet and dropped them on the couch.

  "Some of you could take the extra room if you want. There's only one bed but plenty of floor space, I don't really care. Just no arguing, no yelling, clean up after yourself, and don't puke all over my floor. There's a bathroom in the hall. Also if you empty my fridge, you will be the one to fill it up. Understood?"

  "Yes Zerena," they chorused.

  I smiled, "good. Night y'all."

  Everyone said good night and got settled. I went back to my room to see Dean already passed out. I rolled my eyes and laid down, letting sleep take over me.