39

At about six o'clock, Dean and I were in the car, heading to wherever he was taking me. He drove me to the park where our relationship started the night of the winter ball. We got out and he grabbed the bags from the back of the car.

We walked to the same spot we were at the night of the ball and I stopped in midstep and gasped. The place looked the exact same. The lights hanging in the trees, the blanket spread out on the grass with some food on it, his speakers playing Train. It was amazing.

  I laughed a little and grinned, tears pricking my eyes. Dean wrapped his arms around me from behind and leaned his chin on my shoulder.

  "Like it?" He whispered.

  I nodded not trusting my voice quite yet. My mind drifted back to the night of the ball. I thought of how Dean acted on his thoughts and our first kiss and Seth's yelling. I chuckled a little.

  "What're you laughing at?" Dean asked.

  "I was thinking about the first night we came here, after the ball. The lights, the music... Seth's yelling," I smiled.

  Dean chuckled, "that was an interesting night, that's for sure."

  I nodded in agreement, "that is true."

  There was a pause. "Can you believe that was only a year and a half ago? It feels like more years have past," Dean whisper, his voice distant as his mind drifted away.

  "I know. We've been through so much and I can't believe it was such a short time ago," I leaned back into Dean a little more.

  "Me neither," he pulled away and sat down, "hungry?"

  I nodded, "yes."

  I sat down and took the food Dean was holding out for me. I grabbed a fork and dug into the pasta. We sat in silence for a while.

  I looked off into the dark sky across the water. The lake was calm tonight. No roaring tides, no loud noises. Just a slow, steady stream. The sky was almost black it was so dark, with little stars dotting it. I found Orion and wondered how he felt during his battles in life. The things he had to face as a hunter.

  I finished my pasta and placed the container on the blanket. I glanced in Dean's direction but didn't see him.

  I stood up, "Dean?"

  I started walking back towards the car but stopped when I noticed Dean coming my way from the car. He came right up to me and took my face in his hands and planted a firm kiss of my lips.

  I was taken by surprise but responded, holding his wrists in place. He pulled away and leaned his forehead on mine.

  His eyes fluttered open after a minute, "I have a question for you."

  "Shoot," I said, still a little a breathless.

  He pulled something out of his pocket and got down on one knee, opening the box. Inside was a silver band with a diamond in its center and little diamond studs going around the band.

  I gasped, my hands flying to cover my mouth. Tears pricked my eyes. "Zerena Carter, we've been friends since... well forever, and I fell for you the moment I knew what feelings were. I waited patiently for you and when you finally gave me a chance, I was the happiest person alive. You've kept me on my toes and you gave me hope when my parents' relationship was falling apart. Zerena, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Zerena Carter, will you marry me?"

  The tears spilled over and I flung my arms around Dean, "yes!" I nodded profusely.

  He grinned and hugged me close. He pulled away enough to plant his lips on mine. We didn't stay like that for long, for I heard rustling around and the clicking of a camera just before the flash went off.

  I looked around us to see all our friends and our parents and Seth. Both Dean's and my mom had cameras in their hands and Seth was half glaring, half grinning. He looked like he was trying to be mad but couldn't accomplish it since he was too happy.

  Dean slipped the ring on my finger and the camera clicked a couple more times. I was soon pulled away from Dean as my girlfriends started squealing. Celia, April, Carly, Amy, Danielle, Alyssa, Katie, my mom, and Dean's mom all bear hugged me in a group hug and wouldn't stop squeaking. Dean only got pats on the backs by his buddies; except for Seth who punched him in the shoulder then beat hugged him.

  Seth let go of Dean then worked his way to me and bear hugged me, "I'm so happy," he whispered, "I hate that I can't protect you anymore but I love how happy he makes you. Plus he's my best bro, I love him already. But if he hurts you," Seth warned, "there's no where he can run and/or hide."

  I laughed, still crying, "of course dad. Kill the boyfriend," I rolled my eyes.

  Seth rolled his eyes at my childishness and let me go. Dean quickly placed his arm around my waist, obviously not planning on letting go for awhile.

"I believe the new term is fiancé," Dean whispered in my ear.

"Really? Huh? Wouldn't have guessed that," I said sarcastically.

"Don't mock me angel," he warned.

"Don't mock me angel," I mimicked.

"Fine," he sighed and threw me over his shoulders. He headed for the lake, "I hear the waters very nice. How about you try it out for us? What'd you say Zerena?"

I started wiggling around, trying to get out his grasp, "Dean don't you dare! I swear to god Dean! No!" I screamed as he threw me into the lake.

My head went under the water just seconds after he threw me. First thought, I'm gonna kill Dean. Second thought, holy crap the waters cold. And that's about as far as I got before I reached the surface of the water.

I looked down at my hand, a smirk playing across my lips, "oh my god! Dean! My ring is gone!"