13

I woke up the next morning to the wondrous smell of cinnamon, vanilla, and toast. Which could only mean one thing; Dean was making his famous homemade French Toast. My favorite.

Just as I sat up a little in bed, Seth walked in and sat beside me, pulling the covers over him.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I was woken up so I could come sit beside you and-" he was cut off as Dean walked in singing happy birthday with all our friends in tow.

When they finished singing I looked at Dean who was holding the trays of food. One for me and one for Seth.

"Ya ya, just gimme the food!" Both Seth and I said as the trays were slowly lowered to our laps.

"Always the twins. Damn things," Sam muttered.

"I would smack so hard for that but this is amazing," I said with my mouth full and shoving another bite in.

"Don't choke, Angel. I'd rather not have to rush you to the ER on your birthday," Dean shackled and kissed the top of my head, "though I am glad you're enjoying it."

Seth and I shared a look before looking at Dean, "how could we not? It's amazing."

"Ok seriously. Now I gotta try some of this," April said.

Dean gave a hearty laugh, "there's more in the kitchen for everyone."

Seth and I finished our last bites before scrambling to kitchen to get more. We knew he'd made four loaves because it's what he does at every time he makes it. He makes a loaf each for Seth and I and then makes another loaf or two for everyone else.

"Thank the heavens!" I shouted as I stuffed my face.

"Dean you need to get these two under control," April said. Carly and Devin agreed. Sam was too busy staring at Carly to notice anything else. I swear that kid was annoying sometimes with all the staring.

"Why me?" Dean asked, "you're dating him," dean pointed Devin and Seth, "ya'll are friends with her. Either way, though, there's no stopping these two. Once they start they don't stop until they're full to the brim. They both puked the first couple times they had my French Toast because they thought they could more than their bodies would allow."

"Tell me you made more then," Carly said.

"Oh ya. There's another two loaves for you guys in the oven," dean pulled out a large plate with stacks of French Toast on it. I finished off half my loaf before standing up.

"I'm gonna go get dressed while I let this half digest a little. Then I'll finish it."

"Promise?" Dena asked.

I scoffed, "like you have to ask."

He nodded, "very true."

~~~

After breakfast everyone got ready for the day and we went out to the mall. April and Carly decided it would be good girl bonding if they took-more like dragged-Devin and I to the mall with them. Problem was that none of the guys were willing to let their girls out of their sites. So it became friend bonding time with no gender specifics.

We were walking towards another clothes store a familiar voice called from behind. I turned to see my old friends Amy standing there, shocked to see me here. She probably forgot that I live in this city for now.

"Amy?!" I called, excited.

"Zerena?!" She called back.

We both ran and dropped our bags as we tackled each other in a bear hug. We tightly hugged and had to take a couple steps to regain balance.

"Who's this?" April and Carly asked in unison.

I pulled away from Amy and turned to face my friends, "guys, this is my best friend from home, Amy. Amy this is April, Carly, Sam, and Devin-Seth's girlfriend."

"Wait. Slam the breaks and throw the car in reverse. Seth's girlfriend?" Amy asked me.

I nodded, "weird right?"

She nodded vigorously. "Geez guys. It's not that big of a deal," Seth groaned.

"Except for the fact that you haven't had a girlfriend since your sophomore year of high school," Amy shot back.

"If you could even call it that," Dean and I muttered.

"So?! Can't I have a girlfriend now? And have everyone be ok with it?" Seth asked.

"Oh Seth. We're more than ok with it. We're ecstatic that you've found a girl who can put up with you," Amy said, "we're just...how you say...surprised, that's all."

He rolled his eyes, "surprised my ass," he muttered.

"So you're her best friend?" April asked Amy.

"Yep. Since we were eight," Amy smiled, "but I'm happy she's making anew friends."

"How could she not? She's Zerena Carter," Dean asked as he wrapped his arms around me from behind and laid his chin on my shoulder.

"Huh. Ok," April smiled, "back to shopping. Wanna join us?"

Amy nodded, "why not?"

We moved on to the next store and the next and so on until we were all exhausted. April somehow was still on her feet, barely breaking a sweat.

We went home and I invited Amy over but she declined saying she'd come over tonight for the birthday party. Speaking of I'd found the perfect dress.

It was black, knee length, and had spaghetti straps. It had a sash tied around it just under the chest area and it flowed out a little at the bottom. I decided I'd wear it with my knee high leather combat boots.

I couldn't wait for the party. I wasn't supposed to know but I've overheard everyone talking about how all Seth's and my friends and family are flying out to see us on our nineteenth birthday.

I couldn't wait to see everyone again. Especially my mom. I hadn't seen her since I moved. Heck, I haven't talked to her in a week or two. Just been either busy or tired. The college life was insane but doable. That was the key. Make it doable, and keep it doable.