42

I dropped my keys on the kitchen counter and sat down on one of the stools. I ran my hand through my hair and yawned. It was close to 3am. I'd been racing all night. I needed to clear my head. It didn't help the way I was hoping but whatever now. I was too tired to care.

"Zerena?" Dean's groggy voice came from the couch.

I turned to face him but didn't see much in the dark apartment. Only his silhouette. "Ya?" I whispered.

"You all right?" He whispered back.

I shook my head, "nope."

"You wanna talk about it?"

"I don't want to talk about Dean. I really am very tired. I just wanna sleep," I used his words against him as I headed for the bedroom.

  "That's not fair," he came in the room with an angry tone.

  "What's not fair?"

  "What you just did. I've talked to you about everything, why aren't you talking to me?"

  "You've talking to me about everything and every time except...?"

  "Except..." he thought for a moment before it dawned on him.

  "Say it with me. Except yesterday afternoon," he spoke the last sentence with me.

  "That was low using my words against me," he added.

  I shrugged, "not really. Just trying to jog your memory."

  I had changed into pj's while we were talking and now I crawled into bed. I laid in silence for a minute while Dean got on his side of the bed and got comfy.

"Dean?"

"Hm?"

"Why won't you tell me what frustrated you so much yesterday?"

He sighed, "it wasn't just yesterday. I'm just frustrated with a lot of things lately. There's your dad, our friends who seem to always be around. Yesterday just kind of pushed me over the edge because I thought it was finally gonna be just you and I. But that didn't work out so well."

"Dean all you had to do was tell me. It's not that big of a deal if all you wanted was time with just you and I."

"I didn't want to be rude to Brendon. He seemed cool, I just didn't want him there at that moment. You know?"

I nodded, "ok but next time, you tell me."

"Ok." He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer. He placed a kiss on my temple, "night angel."

"Night Dean."

~~~

I rushed around the kitchen pulling out the cereal and the milk. Dean and I slept through the alarm and I hadn't even gotten dressed. Dean was taking a shower while I got out breakfast.

He came out of the bedroom with a pair of jeans on and a towel slung around his neck in place of a shirt.

"Cereal for breakfast," I said as I ran into the bedroom. I pulled on a tee and jeans and brushed my hair. I slipped on my converse and headed back to the kitchen.

  I devoured-literally-a bowl of cereal before cleaning up the mess of cereal and milk and heading out the door, Dean on my heels. I put the car in reverse and pulled out of the parking space before speeding off to school.

  We rushed to class and sat down as the teacher walked in and started speaking. April was next to me and leaned over slightly, "why you guys late? You're never late," she whispered.

  "Slept through the alarm. Up late," I whispered back.

  She nodded and sat back in her seat. Class went on, stretching out and feeling like it took hours to finish when in reality it was only one hour. Dean and I finished up the school day.

Dean had football practice today and normally I'd just go home and sleep but I didn't feel like that today. I decided to watch his practice; more or less. I headed to the bleachers and took a seat near the middle row and pulled out my phone. I scrolled through tumblr and Facebook a little before opening up a book.

I looked up and actually watched the practice for a few minutes before scoffing. These guys could dodge so much better than they are. I could dodge them all in my car better than they're dodging each other. It's sad really.

After practice Dean came up to me. He leaned and I held up my hand, "how about you take a shower before touching me sweetheart," I pinched my nose and waved away the stench. He was drenched in sweat and smelled horrid, "and more importantly, before you get in my car. You will walk home before getting in my car with that smell."

He grinned and pulled back, "love you too angel," he headed for the locker rooms.

"You think I'm kidding?! You should know I'm serious! I love my car more than you!"

"Ouch!" He turned to face me as he walked backwards, "that hurt Angel!"

I smirked, "you know it's true! I take care of my baby! You can take care of yourself!"

"Well aren't you just a bundle of joy today!"

"You know it!" I teased and picked my book back up.

"Carter!" Coach Harrison yelled as he approached me.

I sighed and set my book down, "yes?"

"I heard you scoff about how half way through practice. Why's that?" He asked sternly.

"Coach, your team sucks at dodging. I could dodge better in my car."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean they need to work on paying more attention to who's around them along with the ball."

"How can I make them do that?"

"I'll show you. When's the next practice?"

"Tomorrow. We got a game coming up."

I nodded, "see you tomorrow then."

I walked towards Dean and his friends as they came out of the locker rooms, "guess who's gonna help you guys learn to dodge tomorrow?" I sang.

Dean groaned and leaned his forehead on my shoulder. He knows I'm a little hardcore with these things.

"What'd you mean? We're great at dodging," Daniel said.

  I arched a brow, "really? Then dodge me."