21

Dean's POV

I heard Zerena scream and a muffled voice speak before a thud sounded throughout the apartment. I dropped the bags of chips and sodas in my hands as I sprinted into the living room.

I stopped in my tracks almost falling over face first as I saw who was sitting on the couch with a grin on his face. I scrunched my face up in disgust and clenched my fists. Anger flashed in my eyes but I controlled it.

"What the hell are you doing here? How did you even get in?" I asked.

  "Please. Key under the mat," he said as he held up the extra key we kept under the mat, "you people are so predictable."

  "So what are you doing here?"

  "Do I need a reason to visit my daughter?" Mr. Carter smirked.

  "Yes, actually. Especially after you beat her for years and didn't even tell your coworkers that you had kids. And on top of it all, you left her permanent scars! Both physical and mental!" I threw my hands in the air for exaggeration.

  "That's all behind me. I made many mistakes..."

  "That's for sure," I mumbled and rolled my eyes.

  "...but I've realized my mistakes and I've changed," he finished.

  I scoffed, "I don't believe you. Now get out before I throw you out the window."

  "Dean please..."

  "I said get out! The door's that way!" I said, pointing to the front door.

  He nodded but as he reached the door, he faced me again, "I will fix this. I will be apart of my kids' lives. Starting with Zerena," he said as he tossed the key at me and left.

  I caught the key with ease and threw it on the coffee table before picking Zerena up from the ground. I carried her to the bedroom and took off her shoes before putting her under the blankets.

  I changed into some gym shorts and walked back to the kitchen. The sodas had opened and splattered everywhere. I picked up the bags of chips that were, thankfully, closed and dropped them in the sink. I grabbed a towel and drenched it water. I cleaned up the soda before the floor and cupboards got all sticky and gross.

Once I finished, I grabbed the chips and dumped them into a bowl. I walked into the living room and turned on Netflix. After finishing the Breakfast Club and half of Footloose-the original version because the new one sucks-Zerena came out and joined me on the couch.

I wrapped my arm around her as she sat down and pulled her close, "hey angel. How you feeling?"

She hesitated before whispering, "scared."

  I set the bowl of chips on the table in front of us and pulled Zerena onto my lap. I hugged her close as she tried to reel in her emotions.

  "Zerena you know you can let it out with me," I whispered, "you don't have to keep it all in, you don't have to act like it doesn't bother you. Just let it out."

  She stayed silent. I kept one arm securely around her and the other I placed under her chin. I brought her face up to look at me, "I love you Zerena Madison Carter. I always have and I always will. We've been through thick and thin together and. I matter what happens I won't ever leave. I've been by your side since the beginning and Ill be there till the end."

  I leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. I pulled away and she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me close. Before I knew it she was shaking with sobs. I held her close and kissed the top of her head. We stayed like and I let her cry until all her tears were dried up, until she couldn't cry anymore.

  She really needed to just let it out. She'd been keeping her feelings in for so long and about so many things recently. I was surprised she hadn't burst earlier. Zerena's a volcano waiting to erupt. If someone's not here to help keep her grounded, she'll go off and won't stop till she feels she's finished her job. And that could get scary, for many people.

~~~

  I pried my eyes open and looked down at Zerena who was sleeping next to me. I pulled her closer and thought about last night. She cried for almost three hours. I'm not sure on what to do and now that Seth's gone back to his college, I'm gonna have to do most of the work on helping Zerena by myself. Which, don't get me wrong, is cool and all, I love her, but she can be a handful. Seth is lucky I know how to calm Zerena down if she gets too pissed off. Years of experience. All I got to do now is hope that our new friends don't push any buttons. And get Zerena to go on many races. And I mean Many races.

  Zerena stirred and I looked down to see her eyes fluttering open. I pecked her cheek and smiled, "morning angel," I whispered.

  "Morning," she croaked out.

  I chuckled at her adorable morning voice. Never gonna get tired of hearing that. "Hungry?"

  She nodded. I started to get up but she stopped me, "I can wait. I just to lay here for a bit. We never just lay down and cuddle. Let's cuddle," she mumbled.

  I chuckled and laid back down, "alright angel. If that's what you want, we'll cuddle."

Zerena's POV

  I laid there in Dean's arms and enjoyed just being in his presence. I enjoyed him just holding me close. I scooted back a bit to get closer and he softly chuckled, "angel, if we get any closer, we're going to actually mold together," he whispered in his morning voice.

I sighed lightly, loving being this close to him, hearing his voice, and knowing that I'm safe with him. "I don't know why you're complaining. That sounds fine to me," I teased.

He laughed again, "ya, you'd like that wouldn't you?"

I shrugged as I thought about what happened earlier today with my dad, what happened earlier this week with Helena and Shayn. He sat up and pulled me onto his lap.

"Zerena," he sighed, "you can't keep doing this to yourself. Remember what happened three years ago?"

  I flinched as flashbacks of sophomore year flashed in my eyes. A tear slipped down my face and I quickly wiped it away. I promised myself I wouldn't shed another tear over him again. I couldn't do it.

  "I just don't want a repeat of that. Zerena I can't see you go through that again. That broke me. And your brother. It took Seth just about six months to see you truly happy again."

  My eyes snapped to his, "that's right. Seth. Where were you? It took Seth six months to help put me back together and you bailed," I stood up and looked him dead in the eye, "you left."