30

The sound of the shower running and the band Skillet playing woke me up. I looked around to see that it was getting dark outside and Devin was in the shower. Her music played The Last Night by Skillet and I smiled. Her and Zerena have the same taste in music.

  The shower turned off and I sat up. I rubbed my eyes to clear my vision and looked up when I heard the door open. Devin walked out, wrapped in a towel, and towards her closet.

  "You didn't have to dress up for me," I teased.

  She jumped a little and turned to me, "jeez, you scared me. I didn't know you were awake."

  "Just woke up."

  She nodded. She looked like she had something to say but wasn't sure about it. She nibbled her bottom lip, which drove me insane.

  "Sugar you've gotta stop that," I warned. She stopped nibbling on her lip. "What is it?" I continued.

  "What's what?"

  "Devin?" I deadpanned.

  "My dad's coming home," she breathed out.

"When?"

The doorbell rang, "now," she said in a squeaky voice as if it was hard to get the word out.

  I sighed, "looks like I better make myself look presentable and be on my best behavior."

  She sighed, "you don't have to meet him now. You can go and come back tomorrow if you want."

  "No. I love you and I want your father to see that as soon as possible," I said with a stern face.

  She nodded and looked me dead in the eye, "I love you too."

  It took a minute for the words to process in my brain and when they did, I grinned. I walked over to her and placed a kiss on her lips.

  I pulled away soon after knowing that if I didn't, we'd be up here for a while. She smiled at me and pecked my lips again before going back to her closet to get dressed.

  I pulled out my phone and texted my mom saying that I'd be home late and to not wait up for me. Once I explained why she was reluctant to let me stay out longer. I know she wants to spend time with her kids as much as possible but I need to show Devin's father that how much I love her and that I can provide a good life and future for her.

  Devin walked up and took my hand in hers. I looked up and saw her dressed in a black tee and blue jeans. She brushed her hair into a ponytail and applied light makeup. I've told her that she looked gorgeous without makeup and that she didn't need it but she liked wearing it so I didn't fight it.

  Together we walked down the stairs to the living room and I quickly ran a hand through my hair so it didn't look as crappy.

  Devin swatted my hand down when I tried to straighten out my hair again. I was really nervous, it was a habit.

  "Stop it. You look great. Just stay calm and let me bring up the marriage and us. Ok?"

  I nodded, "ok."

  We walked through the doorway and entered the living room. It was a large room with white walls and small colorful designs all over them. The furniture were a variety of colors but somehow matched and pulled the room together.

  Devin let go of my hand to hug her father, "hi dad."

  "Hey princess. How you doing? I haven't talked to you for weeks," he grinned at her. You could tell that he cared for her very much and that gave me a little more confidence and hope in our plan.

  "Ya sorry about that. I was working through something," she looked down.

  "Like what? Is it the wedding? Are you nervous because you don't know who it is yet?" She tried to cut him off but he continued, "he's actually here with me. Ryan!"

  A guy about 5'8" and blonde with green eyes walked in. He wasn't muscular but he had a defined build and a nice tan. He gave a warm, friendly smile to everyone and after greeting the parents, turned to Devin.

  "Ryan?" Devin questioned, "you want me to marry Ryan? Dad be serious."

  "What's wrong with Ryan?" He asked.

  I'd heard her talk about Ryan and I'd seen a couple pictures of him on her phone and wall. They were life long friends. She thought of him as a brother.

  "I've grown up with him."

  "Exactly. That's why you two are perfect. You've known each other for so long."

  "He's basically my brother. Ryan do you actually want to marry me?"

  "Devin I never had the courage to tell you this but I'm in love with you. I didn't realize it until about a year ago and I never had the guts to tell you. When David proposed the idea of us getting married, I thought it was the happiest day. I'd get to tell you how I feel," he said honestly.

  "Ryan I'm sorry," Devin backed up and turned to me. She grinned at me and I returned it, "but I'm in love with someone else." Devin came up and took my hand again. She led me closer to her dad, "dad this is Seth, my boyfriend. And I love him."

  I stuck my hand out for him to shake and he took it in a firm grip. "Your her boyfriend?"

  "Yes sir. And I love her," I smiled at her and she grinned, her eyes shining brightly. I adored that smile. I would give anything to see it on a daily basis and know that I'm the reason for it.

  "Do you now?" Her father asked.

  I nodded, "yes sir."

  "When's her birthday?"

  "Dad," Devin warned.

  "It's ok Sugar," I whispered to her, "I got this. Her birthday is November 28."

  "Favorite color?"

  "Blue."

  "Favorite food?"

  "Italian."

  "Favorite dish?"

  "Ravioli of any kind as long as it doesn't have basil because she doesn't like the flavor it adds."

  "How'd she get the scar on her knee?"

  I grinned, "it's not on her knee but her elbow and she fell out of a tree after winning a bet against Ryan on who could climb the highest on the pine tree in your front yard when she was 13."

  Her father nodded in acceptance, "here's a hard one. Who's her hero and why?"