3

I walked downstairs and down the block to the storage space the apartments had. I opened my space and pulled the tarp off my car. I looked at the shiny black paint and the clean glass of my SS Chevrolet. I loved my car. I loved both my cars-and yes I have two, one is my normal car and the other is my racing car. I'm a street racer, and I race with my SS Chevrolet. The other car is a simple silver BMW-but my Chevy was my baby.

  I pulled the keys out of my pocket and got in the drivers seat. I turned on the engine and it roared to life. My cars roar was amazing by the way. Loud and dominant.

  I drove it out of the storage unit and got out real quick to close up my space. I locked it up and put the keys in my pocket. I got back in my car and drove to the front of the apartment building to pick up Dean. As he closed the door I sped off. Down the streets of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

  "Zerena, you wanna slow down a bit or something?"

  "Aw come on Dean, I'm going the speed limit. Plus you have to remember it's a race car, I use it for racing. I'm used to driving fast in it."

  I glanced at him to see his knuckles turning white from gripping the dashboard and the car handle, his face was red from holding his breath and I couldn't help but laugh at him.

  "Relax Dean. I promise I won't get us in a car crash or anything. It's ok. I'm a professional."

  "Sure, sure. I trust you. But the car, not so much."

  "Dean, babe, I control the car. Calm down. Ok?" I took one hand off the steering wheel and grabbed his hand. He started to relax a little at my touch. As we reached the school and I pulled into the parking lot, he was physically relaxed. Now mentally, I couldn't say anything.

  I pulled into a parking space and cut the engine. Dean was still holding my hand and had yet to let go.

  "Dean, sweetie. I kinda need my hand. I promise you can hold it as long as you like in class but now right now," I teased.

  He looked at me and let go of my hand, "you ready for this?"

  "I'm ready. Now come on, class starts in twenty."

  I got out of the car and some hooted and hollered at me. I flipped them off and walked to Dean's side.

  "When did my Angel become so
rude?" He whispered in my ear.

  I laughed, "since now. People who think they can hoot and holler at me. I'm no object. If they saw what I did with my life, they sure wouldn't be hollering at me."

  "Zerena, they're hollering because you're hot. And the only reason people haven't hollered at you like that before is because they knew you as a street racer or were blind to your beauty," he said.

  "Or because everyone was too scared because of you and Seth," I muttered.

  "That too. Now shut up and order your coffee before you explode on someone. Theres a coffee cart over there," he smiled.

  "Oh thank heavens. Today, after classes, we're buying more coffee."

  "Alright, Angel. But you know we wouldn't be out if someone hadn't drank it all in a week."

  "I have no idea what you're talking about," I played dumb.

  "I'm sure you do."

  We reached the cart and I ordered my coffee. Dean ordered his and payed for both of ours.

  We headed to class and say down in the back. First was math. But instead of learning anything we got a two hour lecture about how the year's gonna go in the class.