27

The first year of college was coming to a close and spring break was next week.  Dean and I were going home and I honestly had no idea what our friends were doing. I had gotten to know Dean's team a little better and the four I met when I was on my period ended up joining our group.

  At the moment Dean and I were packing. I was happy to go home. I missed my family and friends and couldn't wait to see them. Seth and Amy were supposed to pick Dean and I up from the airport.

  A knock sounded at the door and when I opened it, I found all our friends standing there with boxes of pizza, tubs of ice cream, and a stack of movie classics like Breakfast Club, Footloose, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and more.

  I let them in, "what are you guys doing here?"

  "We figured we'd spend a night together since we're all going our separate ways tomorrow," Kevin said with fake sadness. I've learned a little over dramatic. But it was nice in situations that weren't the happiest.

  They made themselves comfortable in the living room and I rolled my eyes. I walked to the bedroom and saw Dean zipping up his suitcase.

"Who was at the door?" He asked.

"Everyone."

He looked up at me, "everyone?"

I nodded. He looked out the door and into the living room, "everyone," he muttered under his breath, "don't they know we're leaving tomorrow afternoon?"

I nodded, "that's why they're here. They want one last night together."

"We're only gonna be gone a week," he grumbled, annoyed, "I wanted one more night with you before Seth took you away for a week."

I chuckled, "you'll have all week. Seth is gonna be excited to see both of us, not just me. You're his best friend. Besides they are our friends. We chose to keep them around."

"Why are you always right?"

"I'm just that amazing," I said sarcastically.

"That you are," he agreed and kissed me.

"Hey you two! Stop making out and get out here! We came here to spend time with you not just use your giant ass TV!" Joe yelled.

Dean pulled away and we laughed at our friends. We walked out of the room and I noticed that two new people had joined the group. It was Alyssa and Katie. Alyssa was dating Brandon and Katie was with Daniel.

"You two need to learn that when you have company, you spend time with the company not each other," Kevin teased.

"Not when it's unwanted company," Dean grumbled.

I lightly elbowed his side, "be nice," I whispered.

"I'll try," he whispered back.

We sat down on the couch, me in his lap since everyone else had taken up the rest of the space. Our living room was only so big and could only hold so many people.

April and Kevin were getting cozy and I recalled how many times April had told that she had hung out with just Kevin recently. Those two were gonna become something soon. Then April can stop complaining to me about being single while all her friends were with someone. Excluding Kevin that is. Even Joe had someone in his life. But Joe's also gay and wants to keep it on the down low so only this small, tight group gets to know.

"Zerena!" Carly shouted and snapped her fingers in front of my face.

I shook my head to clear my vision, "sorry what?"

Everyone gave me a weird look but shook it off. "We want to know what movie you want to watch," Carly said.

"Oh um," I glanced at the movie stack, "Breakfast Club or Mama Mia."

"Breakfast Club it is," Daniel said as he put in the movie.

"You ok?" Dean whispered in my ear.

"Ya just zoned out for a sec. I'm fine," I said.

"Ok, if yo I say so," he shrugged.

"I do."

"Can't wait to hear those words come out of your mouth in a couple years. I wanna finish college first."

My jaw dropped. That was the first thing Dean had ever said about marriage. We'd never talked about it about before and I was surprised to hear that.

Dean placed his fingers under my chin and lifted my jaw, "close your mouth before I help you close it."

I slapped his shoulder and he laughed, "violent much."

"You deserve it," I hissed a little too harsh. I was shocked at his words still. Dean's smile faded. I sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm just shocked."

"We'll talk later?" He asked and I nodded.

The movie started and I sunk down a little, curling up into a ball in Dean's lap. He wrapped his arms around me in a tight hold.

~~~

I closed the door behind my friends and locked it. I started cleaning up the trash from the pizza and chips. Dean came over and started to help me. We haven't really said much to each other since the beginning of the night. It was just a little awkward.

I don't think we've been in a situation where it was awkward for us. It was a weird feeling and I didn't like it all.

"I'm sorry," Dean started, "I shouldn't have said anything and a wedding. It obviously made you uncomfortable and I didn't think about what I was saying out loud."

I sighed, "Dean it didn't make me uncomfortable, it just... I dunno. I just never expected you to say anything about marriage. We'd never talked about it before and I just had mini freak out when you brought it up I guess."

"I thought it was implied that we'd get married someday," he came and wrapped his arms loosely around my waist so there was still some space between us.

"Ya maybe it was in the back of my mind that one day we would but I just had seriously sat down and thought it."

"Zerena, I love you and I want to be with you for the rest of my life," he said with all sincerity, "I think about our future all the time. Our wedding, our house, our kids."

Tears pricked my eyes. I didn't know he thought about it that much if at all. Flashes of what I saw could be our future came into my mind.

  I opened my eyes and a tear ran down my cheek. Dean cupped my cheeks and used his thumbs to wipe away my tears. I grabbed his wrists to hold his hands in place. He leaned his forehead on mine.

  "I love you Zerena Carter and nothing will ever change that," he whispered before placing his lips on mine.