7

I hung up from the call with Seth as the bell to get to class rang. I was happy that I got to talk with my brother. It was nice. And we're gonna call each other this weekend so he can tell me about his date Friday. The only reason the girl could so no to him is because she's got a boyfriend. Or because she's lesbian but that's not really saying no that's just stating the truth and facts. I think anyway.

Dean and I walked to class and sat down in the back. I was still grinning and I don't think that I was gonna stop smiling today. Dean kept glancing at me and chuckling every time he saw my smile. He, Seth, and I are super close. Especially Seth and I, us being twins and all. It sucks being in different states and time zones, but there's college for you.

April came and sat next to me while Sam came and sat down in front of Dean and they both looked at me weirdly.

  "Why are you grinning like the Cheshire Cat?" April asked.

  "I got to talk to Seth this morning," I grinned at her.

  "And Seth is...?" Sam asked.

  "My twin brother," I answered, "I haven't talked to him since we moved away for college. And we're super close so spending this week and a half without him here sucks for me."

  "But he's your brother. Aren't you happy he's not here? He's less annoying and doesn't get in your hair about everything," April said.

  "Seth was annoying and an asshole all the time but I miss that. In high school every time a guy tried talking to me even if it were for a school project Seth would get overprotective and shoo them away. And he was always there to make fun of me and the things I did. But I did the same to him. Plus he and I went through a lot together. He was always there to protect me. I just miss him," I sighed and leaned back in my chair, still smiling.

  Dean wrapped his arm around my shoulders and rubbed my arm. I looked at him and grinned thinking of the memories he and I share with Seth. We both missed him.

  "Aw! That's cute!" April exclaimed.

  "Ya ya. Don't get all mushy on me, A," I teased.

"I don't think she's the one getting all mushy," Sam scoffed.

  "Now now Sammy, don't be upset. We're including you too," I poked his arm.

  He swatted my hand away and smirked, "whatever, Z."

  "Where's Carly?" April asked.

  Everyone shrugged. I was just about to pull my phone out and text her when she came running into the classroom. She sat down next to Sam took a minute to catch her breath.

  "You good baby doll?" Sam asked her.

  She looked away from him as a tear slipped down her cheek. She shook her head slightly. I looked her over and saw a slight red hand print on her cheek and her hands had some scratches.

  My eyes grew as I thought of my dad and the way he treated me. I stood up and walked to Carly.

  "Come with me," I held my hand out for her, "we'll be back."

  I led Carly to the bathroom and checked to make sure we were the only ones in here.

  "Carly, be honest with me. Where did you get those scratches and the handprint on your face?" I already knew the answer but I wanted her to say it.

  She shook her head and cried some more. I hugged her and let her cry. Once she was done she looked at me and saw that I already knew the answer to my question. She sat on the counter and looked at me.

  "My step brother. I live with him since he's close to campus and my parents trust him. When I first came he was the brother I grew up with but after a little while he changed. He got darker. And now he's abusing me and last night he-he..." she choked her words as a small on escaped her lips.

  I hugged her again, "you don't have to finish that sentence. I know," I whispered.

  "He what?!" Sam came rushing into the room.

  "Sam! Get out!" I yelled at him.

  "No! She's hurting! She's being abused! I can't just walk out of here and leave it be!" Sam stood his ground.

  "Yes I know! I'm going to help her! But you don't know how hard it is for someone to admit that!" I yelled.

  "And you do?! Were you ever abused?!"

  "Yes!!" I cried, "I was! My dad beat the shit out of me! That's why I miss Seth so much! He's the one who protected me! I have scars all over from my dad! That's how I knew about Carly! I'm going to help her because I know exactly what she's going through!" I took a breather before speaking again, "it's hard having someone you trust, someone you looked up to, to turn on you in a split second," I took off my jacket and pulled the back of tank top down a little so he could see the scar from the broken beer bottle. It ran down my back along my spine. "When I was little, younger than ten, my dad got drunk and angry because he lost a business deal. I accidentally bumped the table his beer was on and he got so angry he broke the bottle and when I ran he threw the broken piece in his hand at me. I had to get ten stitches."

  I pulled my jacket back on just as Dean and April came in. Dean saw me crying and came over to hug me but I stopped him. I turned back to Carly, "in taking you to your house. You're going to grab some things and you're going to stay with Dean and I. We have guest room that will now become your room. Ok?" I said, leaving no room for argument from anyone.

  Carly nodded and got off the counter. Sam quickly went over and hugged her. He picked her up bridal style and carried her out to my car.

  "Do you want me to come?" Dean asked.

  "No. I need you and April to stay here. I would try to get Sam to stay but that's not happening. Can you guys make sure to get our homework? All three of ours?" I asked.

  They nodded. "Good now I'm gonna go before Sam steals my car. He'd have to hot-wire it first and there is no way in hell I'm gonna let him wreck my car like that," I said as I walked out, "see you guys once you get home." They said ok and I walked out to my car.