45

"Food what?" I asked, a little shocked.

  "Food poisoning. It was probably the sandwich you had from that empty cafe last night. Also you were extremely dehydrated and that's why you fainted," Dean explained.

  "Huh," I sat back in bed and thought about the sandwich, "it was a pretty bad sandwich. I didn't even finish it, it was so bad."

  Dean nodded with a slight smile, "right. Whatever drama queen."

  "I believe I have a right to be a drama queen. I'm in an ER! Holy shit! What time is it?!"

  "Around noon."

  "When do I get discharged? I have a race in six hours and you have your game in three."

  "I dunno yet. The nurse was in here about an hour ago and only said soon after you wake up. We didn't know when that would be."

  Just then a nurse walked in, "hello Mrs. Carter. Mr. Harper," she nodded at Dean.

  Dean smiled, "hey Nurse Jenna."

  I sent him a look and he just smiled at me. "Alright. I'm just gonna check your blood pressure and get you a cup of water," she told me.

  I nodded and held out my arm for her.

~~~

  "You feeling ok?" Dean asked me as we walked to the car.

  I nodded, "ya. I'm fine. But we're on a schedule and only have an hour before your game. So let's move."

  Dean rolled his eyes but got in the driver's seat. We headed home so I could grab some food and jug of water before heading to the school for his game. I sat in the bleachers as he ran to the locker room.

The game soon started and the players took the field. The ref blew the whistle and I held my breath as Kevin snapped the ball to Joe. Joe sprinted towards the end zone, keeping his eyes on his teammates to see if anyone was open.

Joe noticed Liam was open and flicked his wrist sending the football flying across the field. Liam caught it with ease and dodged an opponent at the last second.

  The ball was thrown across the field to Dean as he took the ball to the end zone and threw it down in excitement. We got the first touchdown.

~~~

  It was tied. Two minutes remaining on the clock. If we didn't get this next touchdown we would lose. The teams called a timeout and were talking with their coaches to come up with new strategies.

  "Carter!" Coach Harrison's voice shouted at me.

  I snapped my eyes to him and lifted my chin, silently asking what he needed. He signaled me to come down and talk with the team.

  "What do you think?" Coach showed me the play.

  "What about it?" I shrugged.

  "What do you think about it?" Coach hissed.

  "Gee wiz man. Take a chill pill," I said sarcastically. The team chuckled and looked at the play he had drawn out, "it's wrong."

  "What's wrong?"

  "It. All of it. You keep using the same strategies which makes you predictable. Come up with a new one," I shrugged as if it were so easy, which it was.

  "We don't have time for that!" Coach snapped.

  "Yes you do. Look..." I explained to them all the things I'd noticed about certain players on the opposing team and how to best them.