37

We'd just sat down when Julia pinned me with her stare, "so what's your major Zerena?"

  I looked at her, "I'm sorry what?"

  "What's your major? At college?"

  "Oh I'm undecided. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. There's so many options and things for me to explore, I don't want to settle down on one topic. You know?"

  "No I don't know," she faked sadness and shrugged, "I've always been one for planning. I'm a math major. Gonna become an accountant."

  She got all giddy and I scooted farther back in my seat, a little iffy about her. More so than I was before I came here.

  I nodded, "interesting," I gave a tight smile and glanced at Dean, unsure about this girl.

  "So Dean," she turned to him and leaned over. Her shirt being tight and low cut, went a little down as she leaned.

"Yes?" Dean kept eye contact letting her know he wasn't gonna look anywhere else.

Something flashed in her eyes but it gone faster than it came.

"I was thinking maybe I could show the lake I was talking about last week. You know with the play-set my father built when I was young," she tried to reach over the table for her hand but he pulled away.

I smirked, if she had touched him, I would've slapped her hand, hard enough to leave a hand print.

The table we were seated at was a square turned like diamond. Each one of us at one side. Julia was on Dean 's right and I was on his left with his father sitting across from him.

  "Maybe," Dean said with a tight smile.

  "Well," his dad spoke up, "how've you been Zerena? Haven't seen you in a while."

  "I'm good," I smiled sarcastically at him.

  "How's school?"

  "Great. Made lots of friends, kept my grades up," I shrugged, "the usual."

  "Still racing?"

  "Yes actually. Made a couple enemies when I destroyed their egos and reputations but that's what I do," I gave a genuine smile. Dean and his dad chuckled. Julia glared.

  "What do you mean by racing?" She asked with an edge in her voice, "like street racing? Isn't that illegal?"

  "I race, yes, but street racing, no. There's tracks made just outside of town so people can race without causing crashes in the streets and/or hurting people. And no it's not illegal."

  She mouthed an 'oh' and went back to her food. "Zerena's a champ. Hasn't lost a race in what two, three years?" Dean asked me.

  "Two and a half," I said, "I keep my car in mint condition at all times, always tweaking it and changing things to make her run faster."

  "You know how to fix a car?" Julia asked.

  "Ya, I love working on cars. I'm a pretty good mechanic," I smiled loving the fact that she was shrinking in her seat lower and lower the more she learned about me. "Enough about me though. Julia, why don't you tell us about yourself. All I've heard is that you have a play-set built by your father by a lake."

  Julia sat up straight, "ya, my parents own this farmhouse and there's a lake by it."

  "Nice," I said.

  "I love math, obviously. And I like reading," she continued.

  "What genre do you read?" I asked.

  "Mostly historical books. Books I can learn things from."

  "So you basically do research every time you read?"

  She thought for a minute, "ya I guess so."

  "Have you ever read a sci-fi book or a romance or a mystery book?"

  "Unless you're talking about how ions attract each other and how the energy charges then no. No romance. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi or mysteries. I hate not knowing things."

  "Aren't you just a little ball of excitement," I said sarcastically, "you don't like mysteries or sci-fi, you do math problems for fun, you only read learning books. What do you do with your friends? Have a study slumber party?"

She glared, "we normally go walk around and challenge each other about who knows more about certain things we pass by."

  "Oh wow! Cuz who doesn't want to know the exact percentage of aluminum in a soda can or how many carbs are in the burger I'm eating," I snapped, I've had enough of this game playing, "I can't believe that you think Dean would actually go for someone like you. And the fact that you even had the audacity to try and get a taken guy right in front of his girlfriend! And you!" I turned to Dean's dad, "trying to set Dean up with someone when you know damn well that he's with someone else and that they're in love! Cuz whether you like it or not, Dean and I are in love and nothing's gonna change that. I'm not gonna sit here and play nice when the two of you make me wanna punch a hole in the table," I stood up, Dean following suit, "thank you for lunch. I may hate you but I still have manners."

  I walked out with Dean right behind me. I reached my car and stopped, leaning against it and finally letting the tears spill over.

  "Angel? Hey you ok?" Dean asked, rubbing my back.

  I turned to him, "nothing's gonna tear us apart right?"

  He smiled, "never. You're mine angel, and nothing's going to change that."

  "To be honest, all I could think about were the 'what if's'. What if you liked her more than me, what if you left me because you realized you wanted more than what I could give you, what if..." I trailed off, looking at the ground.

  "Hey," Dean lifted my chin, "I love you. I'm in love with you. Whatever the difference is, if there even is one. Whatever. Zerena I'm never gonna leave you. Just like I know you're never gonna leave me. Hell, every time you're out with another guy, that's not Seth, I freak out thinking the same thing you did today. But I push the thoughts aside, because I know that you and I have something. And nobody and can take away that something."

  I smiled, "I love you Dean."

  "I love you Zerena," he grinned and pecked my lips.

  I groaned, trying to pull him back down. He chuckled, "come on. We have somewhere to be."

  "Where?" My face scrunched up in confusion.

  He walked around to the driver's side of the car, "somewhere. Keys?"

  I tossed him my keys and got in. He started the car and drove off.