31

I looked at Devin who looked a little nervous and back at her father. I breathed deeply. I knew the answer but it was hard for her to talk about. I looked at Devin again to ask permission with my eyes. She nodded.

  I looked back at her father, looking him straight in the eye, "her hero is herself. Devin's hero is herself because in high school she was bullied and broken about her parents getting divorced, and her best friend was drifting away from her," I glanced at Ryan, "but she learned to overcome it. She learned that she didn't really need anyone to make her happy. As long as she could love herself and be ok with what she has then she would be ok in life. She learned to not let the bullies get to her and she learned that her parents just weren't gonna work out and they was ok with her. She also learned that she had to talk to Ryan before she lost him, and she did. They talked and worked things out and all was better. Devin is her own hero because she overcame her fears and doubts and learned how to take care of herself and her own problems while keeping those she loved close to her."

  I finished and her father and Ryan both looked shocked. Her mom, Eleanor, wasn't as shocked since she knew me. She knew how I felt about her daughter. Her and I actually got along pretty good.

  "Wow. You do love her," her dad said, "you wouldn't care to know all that if you didn't. You also wouldn't have looked angry when talking about people hurting her," her dad hesitated, love made a decision. Devin you can marry whoever you want, whenever you feel like it. You obviously have the capabilities to do it on your own and pick someone who deserves you. I only felt the way I did about your marriage because I didn't want you to marry someone who didn't deserve you."

  She nodded, "I know dad. But I'm all grown up, I can make my own choices. I've only been Seth a couple months but I love jinx he makes me happy."

  He smiled, "I can tell. I haven't seen that gleam in your eye for years," he brought her in for a hug.

  "So that's it? The weddings off?" Ryan asked.

  Devin's father, David, pulled away from Devin and looked at Ryan, "yes. Devin has chosen someone else and I happen to like him."

  Ryan turned to Devin. He gave a sad smile, "as long as you're happy then I'm happy," he hugged her.

  She pulled away and came to stand next to me. Everyone sat down and got comfy. Devin and I sat on one of the couches with her leaning on me and my arm wrapped securely around her. Her parents sat on the love seat and Ryan took the solo chair.

  We all started talking and getting to know one another better. It was nice to get to know the three people who mean so much to Devin. I'm pretty sure Ryan was a little more pissed off then he let on too. Nothing I can do there though. I got the girl I love and I was happier than ever.

Zerena's POV

  Dean and I have been watching movies with my mom for the last couple hours. We'd ordered pizza tonight and just watched whatever movie we felt like.

  I have to say that I missed hanging out with my mom. She always was quite the person to be around but she kept the atmosphere alive and fun.

  It was almost two in the morning and the credits for RV started to roll. I yawned and looked at Dean who had passed out in the beginning of the movie.

  I turned to my mother, "when's Seth getting home?"

  She shrugged, "he said he'd be home late. I'm not worried though, he's trying to get the girl of his dreams' father to agree to let them be together. It's gotta be a little hard."

  I silently agreed, "true. Alright then, I'm gonna hit the hay. Night mom," I shook Dean slightly to wake him and kissed my mo mon the cheek before heading upstairs to go to bed.

~~~

  The sound of Seth's engine woke me up. I looked at the clock to see that it was just past noon. I sat up and checked on Dean to see that side of the bed was empty.

  I heard a clatter downstairs and my mom's and Dean's voices yelling at one another. I got up and went downstairs to see what the clatter was.

  I walked into the kitchen to see food all over the counters and floor and Dean and my mom were yelling at each other. Both were covered in food.

  "Woah! Hey!" I got they're attention. I motioned to the area around me, "what happened here?"

  Both of them started talking at the same time and I stopped them again, "one at a time please. You'd think I'm the mom in this household," I mumbled the last part and listened to Dean as he told me what happened.

  "I came in here to make omelets and your mom comes in and starts changing things and getting in my way and adding things to my cooking," Dean complained.

  "Well maybe if you'd make an omelet right, I wouldn't have needed to change things," my mom started.

  "Hey! We will have none of that," I glared, "I have just been walked up by my brother's car coming down the street and then I hear yelling and next thing now there's food all over the kitchen! I don't care who makes the mess, I don't care who did what, all I care about is this mess getting cleaned up. Now get to work."

  Seth came in behind me and stopped, "woah."

  "Don't even. Let them clean up their mess," I directed him out of the kitchen.

  "So how'd things go with Devin? I'm guessing good since you didn't come home until after noon," I asked.

  He grinned.