6

I felt all the stares of my new friends on me. I sighed, "you all have questions."

  They nodded. "You each get one question. No more. Ask wisely."

  They thought about it for a while and looked at me as a question came to mind.

  "Sam," I pointed to him. Dean rubbed my back a little and sent me a weary glance.

  I smiled saying I was fine. He nodded in understanding.

  "Why?" Sam asked.

  "It started as a way to have fun. My ex taught me how to drive during a race and it started off with it being fun. Then we broke up and it became more than just fun and games but it's still really fun."

Sam nodded, "cool."

"Ya," I looked at Carly, "you're up."

"Who's your ex?" Carly asked.

I glanced at Dean who stiffened in his seat. I slipped my hand in his and intertwined our fingers. He relaxed a little but still not much.

"Justin Vasquez," I said.

Carly started muttering things to herself and making a bunch of facial expressions.

"Carly?" I waved my hand in front of her face.

"Huh?" She looked up at me.

"Why does it matter who my ex is?"

"Because I have a cousin who street raced and he taught his girlfriend how to race. Then they broke up and their friends went against each other... he also said that the girl's a total badass."

"Well, I would have to agree with him," I looked directly at Carly when something clicked, "Justin Vasquez is your cousin?"

She nodded. I leaned forward and placed my head on the table. "Why does this guy have to be everywhere?" I muttered.

"Z? You ok?" April asked.

My heart squeezed at the nickname April gave me. I missed Seth, a lot.

"Angel?" Dean asked and started rubbing my back.

I sat up straight, "I'm fine. Just really wanting to punch your cousin. But that's a normal feeling. Now let's please move on. April. What'd you got?"

"Where do you race?"

"I'm not going to race for the duration of the first semester, but my friend already told me about a place downtown," I smiled.

They nodded. The food was placed in front of us just as they were about to ask more questions.

I stopped them, "one question each. You used your questions. Now drop the topic."

They nodded and we dug into our food.

~~~

  I walked in the door to our apartment with Dean on my heels and went straight to the couch. I collapsed onto the couch and kicked off my shoes before snuggling into the pillow and curling into a ball.