41

Back at school. A place also known as hell. Good thing was, Helena mostly left me alone. Heck she mostly left people alone in general unless they pissed her off or something. Shayn talked to Dean and I in the halls every now and then but we still mainly kept our space.

Right now I was out at lunch with Dean. We were waiting for our food to arrive. I kept staring at my ring. It was gorgeous. I kept moving it around to see the light reflect off the diamond and create mini rainbows.

"You know, I really like this ring," I said, not taking my eyes off it. I think I don't just love the ring, I just love the meaning of the ring. I'm engaged! To Dean! My best friend! The ring is the symbol of this and that makes me so happy.

Dean chuckled, "I'm glad. Hell I'm happy as ever."

I looked into his eyes and smiled, "me too."

The waiter brought over our burgers and I was even more happy. I was starving and the burger made me drool. I dug into the burger and fries.

"Damn angel! Did you chew?!" Dena laughed.

I slowed down a little, "yes. I just haven't eaten anything today. I'm starving."

"I can see that," Dean said and chuckled.

We went silent for a minute as we ate our food. Somebody walked up to me. He was tall, skinny, and blonde. He looked very familiar but I couldn't place from where.

"Zerena?" The boy asked once he reached my table.

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, "who's asking?"

"It's me, Brendon. We met through Logon like three years ago," he smiled.

"Oh ya! Hey!" I stood up and hugged him. Him and I use to hang out while Logon raced. He became my best friend at the grounds.

He gestured to the empty seat beside me, "may I?"

"Ya, totally. Sit," I ordered and sat back down myself, "what have you been up to?"

"Nothing much really. I did end up finishing high school but I didn't go to college," he explained. If I remember correctly, he didn't want to finish high school. He didn't see the point. He had gone through multiple orphanages and had given up hope when he was younger. I felt bad for him but he seemed to be doing much better now.

"Wow that's great. What made you finish high school?" I asked.

"I met someone," he said.

"Ooh! Who?"

"My boyfriend, Larson. He became my best friend and helped me through a lot," Brendon nodded.

"How cute. Is he here? Can I meet him?" I asked, excited.

"Only if you introduce me to this one sitting next me," Brendon half joked.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry! Brendon this is my boyfr..." I caught myself, "fiancé, Dean."

Brendon looked a little shocked, "Dean? As in your best friend since forever?"

I nodded, "yep. Dean this Brendon, as you've probably gathered. He and I hung out at the grounds before I knew how to race."

"Ya. Then she became a racer instead of staying a bystander with me. Left and forgot about me," Brendon said dramatically.

"Oh get over yourself. You moved away soon after I started racing," I said.

"And it was all your fault. If you didn't leave me, I might've stayed longer."

"Now that's a lie."

We laughed. Dean sat there quietly. "Dean, why are you so quiet?"

He shrugged, "just tired."

"We can go home if you want," I offered.

"Nah it's cool. I'll just go sit in the car, you two catch up," Dean got up and walked off.

I sighed. He wasn't tired, he was jealous. This was supposed to be our lunch date and I totally wrecked it by letting Brendon sit down. Damn me.

"Brendon, I'm really sorry. I need to go," I pulled out some cash and left it on the table, "here gimme your phone."

Brendon handed me his phone and I put in my contact. I handed it back and said a quick goodbye before running to my car.

I reached my car and knocked on the window of the car. Dean was sitting in the passenger seat with his eyes closed and rock music blasting. Something we both did when our emotions got too strong.

He opened an eye and looked at me. He skied his eye and pulled his hands behind his head. I sighed and got in the car. I sat down in the driver's seat and turned down the volume.

"I'm sorry. I totally wrecked our date and let Brendon sit down. I didn't introduce you. I'm sorry, I didn't think. Don't be mad," I said, giving him a sad look.

Dean sighed, "I'm not mad Zerena. I'm just a little frustrated."

"That's even worse!" I cried.

"I don't want to talk about it Zerena. I really am very tired. Can we please go home?"

I nodded with a grin look, "ya sure."

~~~

We got home about twenty minutes later and Dean headed straight for bed. I sat down on the couch and started thinking. It's really all I've been doing lately. Thinking.

Dean keeps getting mad at me for unknown reasons. My brother's in a good place with everything and so are all of my friends. My mom's even doing great with her work.

And her I am. Sitting on my couch, wondering why my boyfriend keeps getting mad at me. What is wrong with me? It seems that every time I get rid of one problem, another one pops up.

The only problem I haven't gotten rid of yet is my dad. He keeps trying to contact me, be it calling, emailing, coming to my apartment. I don't know what to do with him. It's gonna take a lot more than a sorry to fix what he did he to me. A Lot more.

I sat there for almost an hour, thinking about all these things before I gave up. I grabbed my keys and headed out.

~~~

Authors note

  So I started a new book the other day called 'Mysterious Ones'. I'm actually pretty proud of how it's turning out and it would mean a lot for you guys to go check it out. Thank you!