43

"Excuse me?" Daniel was taken aback.

"Holy shit," Dean muttered, "y'all are screwed."

  "Then dodge me," I said slowly, a smirk playing at my lips.

  He scoffed, "easy."

  Sam tossed me a football and I started moving backwards, "then do it," I challenged and turned around.

  I sprinted as Daniel chased after me. Every time he got even close to me I'd dodge him before he could lay a finger on me. It continued like that until I reached the end zone, throwing the ball down and my hands in the air.

  "And point goes to Zerena!!" I shouted as I ran to Daniel.

  "I gotta admit Zerena, you've got skills," Daniel admitted.

  "Why the hell is she not on the team?!" One of the teammates I didn't know shouted at Coach.

  Dean started laughing so hard he fell over. I had a smile on my face and was shaking my head.

  "What's so funny," the guy asked.

  "Zerena on an actual sport?! That's hilarious!" Dean called and laughed even harder.

  "I already got a team," I goosed the ball at the guy.

  "What d'you do?" He asked.

  "I race."

  "Like run?"

  I shook my head, "no like in a car," I said sarcastically.

  "Where?"

  "Out by the fields and whenever I feel like it."

  "When do you plan on racing next?"

  "Why? You gonna come watch?"

  "Maybe," he shrugged.

  "Stop flirtin' with my girl Drake!" Dean warned.

  The guy, Drake, put his hands in the air in surrender, "I'm just curious how she can dodge so well."

  "Oh that's easy. I listen."

  "What?" Half the team asked in unison, all looking confused as ever.

  "Guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out won't you?" I looked at Dean, "ready to go?" He nodded. I turned back to the team, "see you guys tomorrow."

~~~

  I pulled my hair into a ponytail and retied my converse. I walked out of the locker room and onto the field.

  "Line up in two rows!" I commanded the team. I was teaching them to dodge better today and figured I'd start with something easy.

  "Y'all are gonna race. The first in line will go and then the next person and so on!" I had to shout to make sure the team of some fifty kids all heard me. My throat is gonna hurt later.

  "Excuse me, Zerena," Kevin stepped forward, "what does racing have to do with dodging? We can all run just fine."

  "There's a catch. You can't look back," I answered.