Chapter 7 - Bush critters

Start from the beginning

He and Levi bound Ben's arm up, careful, while Julia stood there watching helplessly. Then Andy helped Ben stand and lifted him up in his arms, Ben holding onto his skin carefully.

“Safer I carry you.” He explained, shrugging slightly, as Ben looked amused. Andy was shorter than Ben and it looked a bit odd. “It's a steep hill. Levi, I want you to stab that snake through the head, then bring it up.”

“Through the head?”

“Just to make sure. Be careful. Snakes still can bite for hours after they're dead. Julia, you should stay with your kids, they're probably a bit upset.” Andy turned to her. “We can handle it.”

He was right but Ben might have just saved her kid's life. Seriously. Those snakes were scary.

“Go on, Julia.” Levi nudged her gently. “He saved our kids. I'll be there helping. You talk to our angels.”

She nodded, heading up the hill, as Andy and Levi followed close behind with Ben. Beth opened the door, just as Julia hesitated about whether she should knock or not, and Beth hugged her.

“See? Here's Mama. It's not that bad.” Beth said. She sounded strained, cheerful, as if she was forcing herself to smile. Julia saw why when Beth pulled her inside and shut the door. Lia was actually crying and David looked shaken. “Mama can tell you what happened. And me. Because I don't really understand.”

Evie and Angelica shifted, a bit guilty, but they were white too. Julia went to sit in the mdidle of them, snuggling them, tugging the little ones into her lap as Angelica and Evie leaned against her. “It's okay. David found a snake and Lia wanted to pet it, but you can't pet those snakes. They don't like to be touched. So Ben took the snake away before it could bite.” She spoke lightly, squeezing them, as if their brush with death was no big deal. Julia's heart was still racing and she tried to calm down for their sake.

“I just wanted to pat it.” Lia spoke, a thumb in her mouth, upset. “Ben hurt me.”

“I know, baby, but the snake was going to give you a little bite that would make you sick. So Ben stopped it.” Julia smelt something familiar. Chocolate? Beth was tugging a block out and breaking it up for everyone. “He didn't mean to hurt you two. He's a little sick now though and he can say sorry when he's better.”

Beth and Julia met eyes, as Beth handed out chocolate, and Beth stood up.

“How about we watch a movie in here. Yasmine's asleep but we can watch it quietly.” She suggested, voice soft, and added, “I'll make popcorn.”

Oliver burst into the door then, staring at them, his eyes wide. Went from the kids, to Julia, to Beth who narrowed her eyes at him, he was even panting.

“I heard.... snake. Bite. Kids?”

“Ben protected them.” Julia thought that would make him happy. She stared at him as his face darkened, felt jealousy briefly through the mate bond, felt that weird aggression towards Ben. Like he was a challenge to Oliver someone. It was the strangest feeling. “So we're going to watch a movie. While Levi and Andy help Ben with his snake bite.”

“He was bitten?”

Somehow that didn't help. Oliver frowned.

“We're going to watch a movie quietly. Yasmine's asleep.” Beth added, fixing him with a look, standing up and crossing her arms over her chest. “So you stop slamming doors or you get out.”

Julia actually giggled, which made the kids relax, as Oliver stared at Beth. He nodded.

“Fine. I'll be quiet.” He slid down to sit on the couch and opened his arms as Evie and Angelica slid into his lap. “You two okay?”