They stared at me with eyes filled with longing surprise. I smiled back just to be polite, but they swooned. Then I felt a soft delicate hand cupped my cheek and turned my head back from those young maidens. For a moment, I was face to face with a frowning Amarisa, whose disapproving eyes worried me.

Then she wrapped her arms around my waist from the side and said nothing. It took me a second to realize that the look she bore was of jealousy! I felt my heart bloom with pride at this new discovery.

I saw a handful of people consisted of jugglers, monkey trainers, fire-throwers, fire-breathers, and other magicians. One of the men was balancing himself on a rope. Another smaller man stood on his head while two more clung to his sides.

The acrobats flipped themselves around like a spinning cartwheel. The fire-breathers swallowed the blazing flame and spit it out again in a great burst of fiery clouds.

"Oh wow! That is amazing!" I gasped at the unexpected sight, pointing at an activity ahead of us. "Is that the famous Angkorian circus? I've seen their bas-relief in the temple!"

Amarisa giggled and nodded.

"Indeed, this is the best circus we have in the kingdom," she said. "King Father favors them so much that he ordered the artisans to carve images of the circus so that they would always be remembered."

"Wonderful!" I exclaimed again. My eyes still gazed at their bizarre skills. Amarisa giggled at my childish excitement.

A magician performed his art of illusions while the other displayed his courage of walking through burning embers.

"I'm glad that the start of our date has already brought you joy."

"Oh Amarisa, if the start is already this gleeful, then I wish the night will never end!" I said, making Amarisa giggle.

We stopped at one of the pavilions, which had a roofed porch. It faced the direction of the bonfire and the view where we could see the circus performed.

The procession finally came to a halt. The elephant laid its enormous body onto the ground by the mahout's order. I swiftly got off first and held my hands out to Amarisa. Although several maids had come to her aid, she waved them away.

I helped Amarisa get down with my hands around her small waist. She leaned into me and I held her before swinging her around. Amarisa let out a joyous laugh.

"You're quite stronger than I expected," she commented. "Are you sure you're not a boy?"

I laughed.

"My father said I was supposed to be a boy, and I would be less of a pain in the butt," I said. "Besides all the laborious training with the avatars did that to me."

Amarisa stroked my face as if to show her sympathy. She pulled me gently by the hand then we walked towards the pavilion. Malis already jumped ahead over the wooden stairs. With her natural cat-like reflex, she took only one leap.

Up in the resting place, I found the prepared seats on the portico's floor with comfortable cushions. There were sheer curtains hanging around as if to provide us with some privacy.

It felt like a theater of some sort once we all settled down.

The palace maidens quickly readied their necessary items to serve the princess's needs. Malis had found her relaxing spot in front of our tea table. Fruit and drinks were brought to us instantly.

"You had planned all these?" I asked, gesturing to the whole enclosed field.

Amarisa waved her hand at the palace maids, who then exited the pavilion.