45. The night before christmas

I stayed awake for ages, I wasn't tired as I had sleep all day, I finally gave in and got up. I crept past Lily and downstairs, I snuck outside and climbed a near by apple tree. I sat in one of its lower branches, watching the sky, I sat there for about 10 minutes when I heard movement from the garden. I lied low on the branch and saw a figure walking towards the tree, I didn't move as they sat beneath me. I watched them pull out a book, that narrowed it down to Mr or Mrs Potter, Lily or Remus. I tried to move to see them closer but I russled some leaves, they looked up and I hid. I looked over the branch and saw them take out their wand.
"Lumos," they whispered, the light illuminated them, I could see the lines of faint scars, bright blue eyes, brown hair and a furrowed brow. I moved carefully, not making a noise and crouched on the branch, then fell back, my legs holding me and I hung just above Remus's head. I could see what he was reading, it was a script book,
'Mercutio: "A curse upon both your houses!"
Exit Mercutio and Benvolio"
I kept reading, it appeared someone had died, but the language was strange and old. I got to the end of the page and waited, then Remus turned the page and I carried on reading, every time I finished the page Remus would turn it. I looked to Remus to see his expression and found he was watching me, I jumped and fell out the tree.
"Ouch," I mumbled, standing up.
"Are you ok?" He asked.
"Yeah, how long were you watching me?"
"Dunno, I turned the page whenever your eyes stopped moving." I grinned apologetically, and sat down next to him.
"Why did you come out here?" I said.
"Peter is snoring, and I can't read when he snores," he replied, his arm round me.
"Couldn't you sleep either?" I said.
"No, well I was asleep most of the day."
"Yeah, same."
"What's the play called?"
"Romeo and Juliet, is an old muggle play by William Shakespeare." I nodded. "You can borrow it if you want and read it from the beginning," he said, handing me the book.
"Thanks," I said, taking the book and opening it in my lap. I read from the beginning, I went through the pages quickly, it wasn't the best love story but I thought it was exciting.
"What time is it?" I asked closing the book after about an hour or two of reading.
"Umm, it's half one," Remus replied.
"Were you watching me read for two hours?" I said.
"Yeah, as I said you're cute when you read, you smile and your eyes light up even more than usual," he said.
"Ok, is it weird we both watch each other read?" I said, grinning.
"Probably, but who cares?"
"Yeah." I rested my head against his shoulder and looked up the sky. It was a deep purple and scattered with stars, shining like jewels.
"What's gonna happens when we leave school?" Remus said, after a while.
"I dunno, maybe we get jobs and starts adult lives?" I said sarcastically.
"Haha, very funny. I mean, Voldemort is getting stronger and I don't think anyone could have a not al life," he said.
"Well then people fight, they try to make a world in which others can live happier lives," I replied.
"Would you fight?" He said.
"Yes, I would fight until I died if it meant my child could live a happy life, would you?"
"I don't think I'll ever have children, but I would fight for you," he replied.
"Why won't you have children?"
"I'm a monster, I don't want to make a innocent life like me," he said bitterly looking away from me.
"You're not a monster, I will go to any lengths to prove to you that you're not a monster!" I said, making him face me.
"There's nothing that could change my mind," he said.
"I wouldn't love you if you were a monster, you're not a monster, you're a smart, kind, loving person with a big heart and a small problem."
"That's just your opinion, you still won't change my mind that I'm a monster."
"Remus John Lupin! You are not a monster and if you say that one more time I'm going to slap you," I said, grabbing the front of his robes. He looked at me sceptically, probably thinking I wouldn't slap him.
"I'm a monster," he said simply. Smack! I slapped him round the face. "Merlin's beard!"
"I did warn you," I said, he looked at me, there was a red mark and I felt guilty.
"I'm a monster!" He repeated, "Im a monster! I'm a monster!" I looked at him, "I'm a-" I pressed my lips against his, he kissed back and I could tell he'd missed kissing like this. We broke apart and he grinned at me.
"If you're gonna do that every time then I'm never going to change my mind," he said, smirking.
"I'm not going to do it then," I said, leaning back on his shoulder.
"But I'm still a monster," he said, as though it settled the matter.
"Fine, you're a monster, but you're my monster," I sighed, "you're my cuddle monster." He laughed, I looked up at him. He wrapped his arms round me and hugged me.
"See, cuddle monster," I said unto his shoulder.
"Yeah ok," he said.
"You're squishing my nose," I said.
"Not letting go," he sang.
"You're going to break my nose," I said.
"I'm not letting go, I'm a cuddle monster," he said, playfully.
"I know but you're-" I jerked and twisted as he started to tickle me. "Stop!" I gasped.
"No," he said, I tried to hit him away but he didn't stop, I was laughing and squealing as he tickled me.
"Please, stop," I said, "I'll kick you." He stopped tickling me and let me sit up.
"Fine," he said, grinning at me.
"You're a tickle monster," I said standing up, "let go back inside it's cold."
"Ok," he said and we went back inside.
"Hey, its Christmas!" I said, looking at the tree, it had loads of presents under it.
"Merry Christmas," Remus said, he grabbed my waist and pulled me into a kiss. I kissed back he grinned into the kiss as I wrapped my arms round his neck. We broke apart and I grinned.
"Merry Christmas," I said, ruffling his hair.
"Should we wake the others?" Remus said.
"Maybe, what's the time?"
"It's three," he said, looking at the clock in the living room.
"Maybe not, let's get some sleep," I suggested.
"Ok," he said and we snuck back into our own bedrooms. I slipped into bed and fell asleep a warm, sensation dancing on my lips.