36. Pain

"Remus?" I said louder and the boy woke and looked up, his eyes fearful.
"Lyra!" He said moving back from me in horror.
"It's ok," I said but he stared at me.
"I'm so sorry," he said, almost crying as he looked at the wounds all over my body.
"It's not your fault," I said soothingly.
"Yes it is! It was me who did this to you." Tears were shining in his eyes.
"Remus, it wasn't you, it was the werewolf," I said, "look," I took out my wand and healed the wounds so only scars were left, I smiled at him.
"No, I hurt you, I remember it you tried to stop me attacking Lily, but I almost killed you."
"It's ok, I'm fine and Lily is fine," I said, "I came down to find you." he stared at me.
"I-I hurt you," he repeated, I rolled my eyes and hugged him, he pushed me away, his eyes were terrified.
"Don't, I don't want to hurt you," he said.
"You won't," I said and hugged him again, he didn't protest this time but he didn't hug back. "Not letting go till I get a hug," I sang and he hugged me back gingerly, I flinched slightly and he pushed me away again.
"I did it again, I hurt you," he said, tears falling down his face.
"No, you didn't," I said quickly.
"Don't lie!" He said, moving back.
"Fine, it was only a little bit," I said. He stared at me, then stood up, he held his arms out as if to hold me back.
"I almost turned you into a monster, I almost killed you."
"No you didn't!" I shouted angrily. "It was me I kept biting you, to provoke you." He looked at me, confusion on his face.
"Why?"
"I was trying to get you away from Hogwarts and Lily," I muttered.
"I was trying to attack her, then I attacked you."
"No! You only tried to attack Lily because she threw a stone at you, you didn't want to attack me, you kept pushing me out the way." He stared at me, I could tell he was hoping it was true, he lowered his arms. I moved forward and hugged him, he tried to pull away by it was a feeble attempt.
"Thanks," he whispered.
"No problem." We stood there hugging for a while, I could feel tears on my shoulder, Remus was crying.
" I'm sorry," he said after a while .
"Don't be, if it's anyone's fault it's mine for letting Lily see me go, and then going after her," I said and he nodded.
"What time is it?" He said.
"I think it's like seven, want to go back?" I said as we broke apart, my ribs were killing me from the hug.
"I don't want to face the others," he said, timidly.
I nodded, and pulled out my wand to strap up my broken leg.
"Do you want me to sneak some food from the hall?" I asked as we walked round the lake.
"Yeah, but it's weird, I kinda feel like I've eaten something but I-" he stopped, his eyes flickered to my left arm, the one the werewolf bitten a chunk out of. His eyes were fearful and he stepped back from me. "I-I, no, I did that?"
"It's ok," I said waving my hand, "I wasn't human."
"W-will it effect you?" He questioned, nervously.
"I- I, no it wont," I said, unsure. He stared at me, his eyes flickering to my face then my arm.
"I'm sorry," he said, "what if something happens to you? What if it does affect you? I mean we only assumed nothing would happen," he said.
"I'm sure it won't," I said calmly, but I was still a bit unsure. His eyes looked concernedly at me before he calmed down and started to walk again.
"Stay here, I'll go and get some food," I said, Remus nodded as I limped off. I couldn't help but think that Remus had some of my flesh in his stomach, I shivered and carried on limping up to the castle.

I grabbed some toast, bacon and fruit, then summoned a box from my dormitory to carry the food.
"Greypaws!" Someone called, I turned around to see Sirius, Jams, Peter and Lily. I waved at them, then stopped as it was painful.
"You need the hospital wing," Lily said, as they stopped in front of me.
"No I don't," I replied.
"Don't tell me nothing hurts," she said.
"Nothing hurts," I said, raising my eyebrows. She tapped my ribs lightly and I flinched in pain.
"Hospital wing," she repeated, her hands on her hips.
"Fine," I said, "but Remus needs to go as well.
"We'll get him," James said pulling Peter and Sirius out to the grounds.

Lily dragged me up to the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey nearly had a heart attack when she examined me.
"Three broken ribs, a broken arm, broken leg, damaged windpipe, badly healed wounds down your back, chest and face, Merlin's beard what have you been doing girl?"
"I got into a fight with a dog," I said, she looked at me sceptically, and when Lily wasn't looking she bent over me.
"Dogs don't bite like that," she said nodding to my left arm, there were still teeth marks and it was too big to be a dog, I looked at her. "I have reason to believe, that you meant young Mr Lupin on the grounds last night," I shook my head.
"No it was a big dog," I insisted.
"I will have a word with the headmaster," she said and she walked off to get some medicine.
"Lily, she knows I was out of the grounds last night," I whispered to Lily.
"What?"
"She knows I was bitten by Moony."
"Do you know the werewolf?" She said looking out the window, "I must go and tell Professor Mcgonagal about a werewolf on the grounds."
"What! No you can't!" I said.
"Why? It almost killed you."
"Weren't you listening to what I was saying?"
"When?"
"This morning, last night, just now," I said, she shrugged.
"I'm still gonna tell Mcgonagal, I mean if there's a werewolf running round it should be expelled."
"No," I said in exasperation.
"Why?"
"Because the werewolf is being dragged through the doors," I said, Lily whipped round, pulling her wand out.