9. The boggart

The school was buzzing with excitement, girls talking and giggling about what they would wear or who they wanted to ask them and boys boating about the prettiest girls they were going with or going to ask.
"Come on Lyra who do you want to ask you?"
"I've told you Lily I'm not telling." Lily had been asking me question ever since the ball was announced.
"You'll be going with Snivellus," I said drinking my pumpkin juice.
"Erm actually, no I'm going with James potter," she said blushing, I spat out my juice.
"What? You actually said yes!" I spluttered.
"Why does that surprise you," said a voice behind me, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were walking in from the grounds.
"Where have you been?" I said changing the subject.
"Walking on the grounds," said Peter. I eyed them suspiciously then turning back to my breakfast I said,
"So have you all got date yet?"
"Well obviously I'm going with Lily," said James sitting opposite me, "Sirius is going with a ravenclaw girl, Peter is going with a hufflepuff girl and Remus is too chicken to ask out his crush."
"I am not, I'm just, finding the right time," he said glaring at James as he sat next to me.
"How about you, Lyra anyone asked you?" Sirius asked taking a cup of coffee.
"Well yes, I've had about four boys ask me but I said no to all of them," I replied, this time is was Sirius who spat his drink out.
"Four boys?!" He exclaimed wiping his chin.
"Yeah, I still think you should've said yes to that ravenclaw boy, he was at least good looking," Lily said opening The Daily Prophet.
"I told you I'm either going with a certain person or not at all," I replied looking at it over her shoulder.
"And uh who's that?" Peter said taking some eggs.
"I'm not tell anyone," I sang for the six hundredth time,
"Anyway I doubt anyone else would ask me with these scars." Nothing was really in The daily Prophet apart from ministry warnings and random stuff, so we finished breakfast and went to defence against the dark arts. When we arrived the class was already inside and gathered in a semicircle around a chest.
"Now that the rest of our class have decided to turn up lets start," said Professor Merrythought as she waved her wand and the door shut behind us.
"Today we will be fighting a boggart." Most of the class oohed but some looked terrified. "Now a boggart is a shapeshifter and will take the form of whatever scares the person most, so when one person is facing the boggart I want everyone to stand back," she said to the class.
"Now there is a simple incantation to get rid of a boggart, can anyone tell me?"
Lily immediately raised her hand.
"Miss Evans?"
"Isn't it ridikulous?" She said, her green eyes on Merrythought.
"Yes, 5 points to gryffindor now everyone practice it together," she said, and the whole class said it three times before she was satisfied. "Right everyone in a line and try to think of how to make your worst fear funny."

What was my worst fear? Oh yes of course me and Sirius would have the same, our farther, he has always scared us especially when we were sorted into gryffindor, how do you make that funny. Maybe I'll put him in a dress or something, yes I'll do that. Soon everyone was lining up to face the boggart, I was behind Remus, who was behind Sirius, Lily was behind me, James was behind her and Peter was behind him, and I could hear Lily muttering about her sister. The boggart started changing into all types of things at one point even a headless chicken. Then it was Sirius' turn, he stepped forward and I expected to see our farther, but I didn't see anything until I looked down, there was a body lying on the floor clearly dead, I shifted and I saw, my grey eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. Sirius stepped back into Remus shaking his head, without thinking I ran forward and shook Sirius.
"I'm here, look at me I'm here alive!" I said shaking him, he looked at me, I could see tears in his eyes as he hugged me tight.
"R-ridikulous!" He shouted and I turned around to see me wearing a pink, frilly dress, I blushed and he started to laugh. He went to the back of the class and I turned around to see, Fenrir Greyback towering over me, I took a deep breathe, whipped out my wand and yelled,
"Ridikulous!" And he stumbled back wearing a ballerina consume. I had just started to walked back when I heard a shout,
"No!" Turning around I saw three dead bodies and me again shouting at the person at the front of the line.
"You're a freak! A monster!" The boggart me shouted. Someone knocked into me as they ran towards the front.
"Remus! It's ok," Sirius shouted over the boggart's shrieks of, 'freak! Monster!'
I ran forward too, and I saw Remus shaking with his eyes darting from the three bodies, who I could now see were James, Peter and Sirius, to me shouting at him. Sirius was shaking him but he wouldn't take his eyes of the boggart. I ran in front of him shouting,
"Here!" And the boggart changed back into Greyback, "ridikulous!" And the boggart burst into a million piece,
"Remus it's ok, it's me not the boggart,"
"Umm, class dismissed, leave quickly please," professor Merrythought said and people started to leave muttering about Remus. Meanwhile he was still shaking and hadn't moved from where he was standing, I clicked my fingers in his face trying to get to look at me, he jumped and dropped his wand then sank to his knees, still trembling. Now James, Peter and Lily had joined me and Sirius in trying to get Remus to calm down.
"Remus look at us, we're all alive and Lyra isn't shouting at you," said James softly, as he patted Remus' back.
"Yeah look totally alive," Sirius said waving his hands, trying to make Remus smile but Remus just stared at where the boggart had been.
"Professor Merrythought, what's going on? Most of your class are running down the corridor and Longbottom said there was an incident with a boggart," professor Mcgonagal said as she opened the door.
"Yes there was an incident," Merrythought said as they stood next to the door.
"Oh deer, who was-" started Mcgonagal but she faltered as she saw Remus' trembling figure.
"Remus it was only a boggart," Peter said as Mcgonagal and Merrythought whispered behind us. Then Remus started to stand and he looked round at James, Sirius and Peter.
"J-just a b-boggart," he said  smiling weakly, then he stared at me.
"Yeah just a boggart," I said smiling at him, but it faded slightly as he stared at me. His eyes were watery but, the blue was blazing, and it looked like he was about to hit me.
"You ok?" James asked as everyone back away slightly, but I stood my ground a little nervous. He carried on staring at me, then his face broke into a wide grin, he wrapped his arms round me and hugged me tight. I sighed and patted him on the back as I felt silent tear on my shoulder.
"Thank you," he whispered, muffled by my shoulder, "thank you for being my friend."
"It's my pleasure," I whispered in his ear and I felt his smile.
"I think you all should be excused from the rest of your classes today," said professor Mcgonagal, "why don't you head to gryffindor tower?"

We did so and spent the rest of the day eating chocolate and laughing at James and Sirius' jokes.