22. Pranksters

The teachers had started piling lots of homework on us.
"Your OWLs will be in two months, and to get the expected grade you will have to study hard, just for your information auto-answer quills are banded as are Remembralls and self-correction ink," Professor Mcgonagal said at the end of Transfiguration, "your homework is to write a foot long essay on transfiguring living things, class dismissed."
"God, you'd think she thought we try to cheat in an exam," James sighed.
"James, last year you did cheat on your exam," I reminded him.
"Oh yeah," he said fondly, "can't do that this year though."
"Hey Greypaws?" Sirius said.
"Hmm?"
"Where's you bag?" He said.
"It's right," but it wasn't on my shoulder, "I must've left it in Transfiguration." I started to run back towards the class room, but I ran straight into Professor Mcgonagal as she was leaving it.
"Sorry professor," I said hastily, "I think I've left my bag in there."
"There were no bags left in my class room," she said curtly, "maybe you left it in a different class." I stared after her as she walked away, I had definitely had my bag when I had left muggle studies, but where had I left it? I walked back to the others.
"She said it's not in there," I said.
"Oh maybe it's in a different class," Remus said.
"Yeah," I replied looking up, "where's Sirius?"
"He ran ahead to the entrance hall," James said.
"Why?" I asked as we made for the entrance hall.
"I think he saw someone with your bag," Peter said.
"Really?" I said and I ran up to the entrance hall.
"Found your bag," Sirius said, pointing at the ceiling. It was floating just higher than I could reach, I spent about 10 minutes trying to jump to get it and a crowd hand gathered watching me and laughing.
"Are you gonna help?" I said furiously at Sirius, Remus and James, who were all taller than me.
"Well it is quite funny," James said.
"I'll get it," Sirius said walking forwards, he reached up on his tiptoes and pulled it down.
"Thank you," I said, hugging him and without him noticing, I pulled out some hairs.
"I wonder who put it up there," Remus said, smirking. I wonder indeed.

"SIIIMMMBBBA!" I said, holding a stuffed lion up to the ceiling in the gryffindor common room. I wasn't me though, I had made some polyjuice potion and changed into Sirius, I knew he had stolen my bag and this was his payment, him apparently reenacting part of the Lion King with his shirt off. I had made the potion last for two hours so I was safe until 11, it was 10:30. The whole common room was howling with laugher, as I started running round the room shouting,
"MUFASA IS DEAD! NOOOOO!"
"Padfoot mate," James said laughing, "are you drunk or what?"
"No why would you think that Prongs? I just asked Professor Mcgonagal to go to hogsmeade with me," I said in Sirius' voice.
"And what did she say?" Remus said, crying with laughter.
"She said she was busy, but I could spend a night in detention with her on Monday."
"Padfoot, if you're trying to win this prank war, with this act it doesn't count," James said.
"No I'm just having fun!" I shouted as I started to do the cancan in the middle of the common room, "come on Moony, join me."
"No thanks," he said, laughing harder. Suddenly the real Sirius walked through the portrait hole.
"What the bloody hell is going?" He said as he saw me standing on a table.
"All right bro!" I said pulling on a shirt.
"Merlin'a beard is that you greypaws?" James said.
"No I am Rafiki!" I said holding the stuffed lion up again, but the polyjuice potion had started to wear off and my hair was lengthening and my body was growing smaller, I burst out laughing at Sirius' face.
"You shouldn't have stolen my bag," I said sitting down next to Remus of the sofa.
"I think she's got ya there mate," James said, "I think that's 45 points to Greypaws, 10 for tricking each of us, and probably about 15 for everyone if here."
"Thank you, I do pride myself on my ability to prank peoples," I said bowing around the room.
"So that's 15 points for Padfoot, 10 points for me, 10 points for Moony, 4 points for Wormtail and 45 points for Greypaws," James said scribbling it down on some parchment. For the next week Sirius couldn't walk down a corridor without some yelling 'SIIIMMMBAA!' We all laughed at Sirius when his face went bright red and he hurried to our next class.

I had been pranked three times, by Sirius, who had placed a bucket of slugs on our muggle studies door and waited till I walked through to let it fall, Peter had put a babbling potion in my pumpkin juice and Remus had got a group of students to crowd round me, pick me up and carry me to the dungeons, I had to bargain with Remus to let me out of a cub board, while James and Sirius laughed. But I had got Remus by hiding all his chocolate in a girl bathroom, he had been caught in there by 4 girls. I had got James by putting a dancing jynx on him when he was trying to talk to Professor Slughorn about our homework. And I had tricked a whole group of girls that Sirius would be going out with the first person to force feed him a banana. But we had to stop our pranks as Mcgonagal had told us any more she would give us a months detention. I had won, I had a large block of chocolate as my trophy.

"Argh this is so tedious," I groaned after and hour of studying.
"Our OWLs are next week," Remus said to me as I banged my head on the table.
"Yeah, I know, can't wait till they're over," I said.
"You've still got that wish," I said as I had just remembered it.
"Yeah, I know I'm just saving it," he replied.
"What can you give a bowtruckle to get the wood?" I asked, scratching my head with my quill.
"Doxy eggs, I think," Remus said, I scribbled it down. We sat in silence for a while, the others had gone to bed already.
"Moony?" I said.
"Hmmm?"
"What time is it?"
"Ten to eleven, why?"
"Just wondering, hug?"
"Come here then," he said, holding out his arms and I snuggled into him, and after awhile we both fell asleep.