20. Beast within

The sun started to set and I was still sitting with Remus, his face was less pale but he had started to look ill, like he always did near the full moon.
"Li," he mumbled, I squeezed his hand.
"Hey? You awake?"
"Lyra."
"Yeah, I'm here," I whispered.
"Come on, I've let you have more time with him, off to your common room," Madam Pomfrey said. I got up to go but when I went to move my hand, Remus hand had griped it tight, I looked at his face and saw his eyes were closed but he was grinning.
"You can let go now," I said prizing his fingers off mine. He opened his eyes and sat up a bit.
"I gotta go now," I said kissing his forehead.
"Aw, as soon as I wake up you have to go," he said rubbing his eyes,
"Yeah, but I'll be back in the morning, night," I replied as I walked to the door.
"Bye!" He said as Madam Pomfrey drew the curtains.

Remus was let out of the hospital the next day and him and Sirius were talking to each other again.
"Two days to go!" Sirius said excitedly, at lunch the day Remus was let out.
"You could sound a little bit less exited," Remus said pushing his stew around his plate.
"Oh yeah, sorry Moony," Sirius said.
"Come on let's go to care of magical creatures," James said.

"One day until we get to try out our powers!" Sirius whispered in the library the day after.
"Its not new for me," Remus muttered scribbling notes on muggle transport.
"Right, sorry," Sirius said flicking through a book.
"Come on, James, Remus, we have detention," I said picking up my bag.

"It's tonight!" Sirius said at dinner on the day of the full moon. Remus didn't say anything but he just stared at his plate, he was looking very pale and ill.
"Come on Moony, we'll be there this time," James said nudging Remus.
"Yeah," Remus said.
"Come on let's go back to the common room to get ready," Peter said.

After our detention I, Remus was let off detention by Mcgonagal, was going to head straight for the whomping willow, we were all meeting there two hours early.
"Lily I'll see you later, I've got to go to see Professor Dumbledore," I said to Lily after and hour of lines.
"Ok I'll see you later," she said and she went back to gryffindor tower. I walked to the entrance hall.
"You know you don't have to do this?" Sirius said, appearing out of the shadows.
"Not this again," I said, "I've already told you I'm coming and that's that."
"Very well, then I'm very sorry, now!" Someone grabbed me from behind and started to pull me away, I struggled and kicked but they were too strong.
"Let me go!" I shouted.
"Be quiet or you'll call a teacher," they said.
"Let me g-" but they had knocked me out with a stunning spell.

I woke up in the gryffindor common room.
"How did I get here?" I said.
"Oh, Remus carried you in, said you'd fallen down the stairs or something," Lily said. I jumped to my feet and ran out the portrait hole, down the staircase, through a secret passage and out onto the grounds. I looked around then spotted the whomping willow and ran towards it.
"Imobulus!" I shouted and I jumped down into the passage way, I started to hurry down the passage, not thinking about anything else but how angry I was. When I got to the end I heard movement from a room to my left and I bust through the doors, there was a dog, a rat, a deer and a boy standing in the room.
"Lyra!" Remus yelled in shock, "change qui-" but he doubled over, I moved forward but the dog had hold of my robes in its teeth. There was a yell of pain from behind me and I whipped round to see Remus' body changing, his shoulders were hunching, his face was lengthening, hair was growing over his face and hands which were curling into paws, the blue of his pained face stared into mine before they turned yellow. I stared at Moony, he was hunching over, whimpering.
"R-Remus?" I said nervously, a loud howl was my reply as I jumped back. His head had turned to me, the only human in the room. He started to advance on me but I couldn't move out of shock, fear and curiosity. Then there was a growl from my side and Padfoot stepped in front of me, as though someone had flicked a switch, my mind went back into action and I shifted into greypaws. Moony stoped advancing on me and looked around at Prongs and Wormtail, he started to sniff everyone, knocking wormtail over. When he got to me he stoped and looked at me, I was bigger than Padfoot and Wormatail but Moony and Prongs were bigger than me. He sniffed me and I stayed rooted to the spot, then he looked me in the eye and I saw a glint of Remus behind the yellow eyes. I jumped to the left then back to the right, and bent down, then started to run with Moony behind me. I jumped on Padfoot and knocked him over and we all started to play and chase each other. After a few hours of playing Moony laid down, I curled up to him, but he didn't attack, Padfoot eyes us before curling up in a corner.

I woke up to the sun just rising over the mountains, I had shifted back into human form in my sleep. I was curled up to Remus who had his arm round me and was asleep, I rested my head back on his chest. I was really tired and was just thinking of going to sleep when we got back to the castle, when I felt eyes of the back of my head.
"Hi," Remus whispered, I turned round to look into his blue eyes.
"Hey," I whispered back.
"Bet your tired?" He said.
"Yeah, now I know how you feel, and we have lessons today," I replied.
"Yeah, it was better than its ever been before," Remus said as he started to brush my hair.
"Lyra?" He said suddenly.
"Hmm?" I said enjoying the brushing of my hair.
"Your hair is a bit silver, just like a streak of silver," he said, I grabbed the hair he was hold in his hands, and just as he said there was a streak of silver, almost unnoticeable.
"Probably just from my wolf," I said dropping my hair.
"Yeah," he said.
"You tried to trick me yesterday," I said casually.
"Oh umm er-"
"It doesn't matter," I said laughing slightly, "just don't do it again."
"Yeah, if you give me a kiss, while Sirius isn't looking."
"Sure," I said, and I bent my head upwards and kissed him, his lips were soft and they seemed to fit with mine perfectly. We broke apart grinning, then a someone coughed from the opposite side of the room.
"I know Sirius is asleep but I'm awake and I don't really want to be a third wheel," James said with his eyebrows raised.
"Don't say anything," I said quickly.
"What and started another 'I'm not talking to Remus! He kissed my sister!' Act?"He said grinning. After about 10 minutes Sirius and Peter woke up and we made our way back to the castle.