10. Secrect crush

There was only one week left until the Christmas ball and it looked like I wasn't going to go as no one else had asked me. All the girls were talking about getting their dresses at hogsmeade the weekend before the ball and I was starting to wish I had said yes to one of the boys who asked me.

I woke up suddenly on the morning of the hogsmeade visit, from a nightmare where Greyback was attacking Remus and he was yelled for me to help but I was in a pink dress that Sirius was holding on to so I could move, Greyback had turned around to run at me and Remus was bleeding if the floor, that's when I woke. I ran down to the common room to try and get my mind off it and find comfort. What I wasn't expecting was to find someone sitting in front of the fire, at the sound of me running down the stairs they turned round.
"Remus? What are you doing here?" I gasped as I caught my breathe.
"Well you know I am in Gryffindor so I would be in gryffindor tower," he said smirking, "but like right now I came down because I had a nightmare."
"Oh so did I," I said sitting next to him.
"What about?" He asked.
"Oh you know just something stupid," I replied remembering it.
"Yeah same," he said, putting an arm round me.
"You got a date yet?" I said, not really want to hear the answer.
"Not yet, I'm going to ask her soon," he said staring at the flickering flames. My heart sank, I was hoping that I could suggest to go as friends but now it was looking like I would be the only one without a partner.
"Hey, do you want to help me choose a dress for her in hogsmeade?" He said hopefully. No I didn't want to help him choose a dress for another girl but I did want to spend time with him.
"Ok, why don't you choose it with her?" I said not looking at him.
"I want to surprise her," he replied shifting his position. We stayed like that for a few hours, just talking, then we went to get dressed so we could have an early breakfast.
We ate quickly, talking about classes and other things, then Remus suggested we go for a walk in the grounds.

We walked round the lake, however on the way back Peter met us at the whomping willow.
"Letter for you, Lyra. He said handing me a letter and hurrying back up to the castle.
"Who's this from?" I said opening the letter.
'Dear Lyra,
Meet me in the three broomsticks at 3pm today, go to the table with a lily on it. Don't buy a dress I already brought you one.
From a hopeful boy.'
I read the letter throw twice then handed it to Remus.
"Maybe I've got a date for the ball?" I said.
"Yeah, are you gonna say yes if they ask?" He replied.
"Depends who it is but I probably will as I have no one else to go with," I said tucking the note into my pocket.

Me and Remus walked into hogsmeade together and I helped him pick out a dress. I actually really liked it, it was a dark purple, and I think it suited my eyes but I wouldn't want to wear the same dress as Remus' date. At quarter to three we parted ways and I headed to the three broomsticks and he went back towards the school. The bar was packed when I got in, I looked round for a table with a lily on it but couldn't find one then I saw,
"Lily? What are you doing here?"
"Oh hello, I was saving the table for your date, like the joke? I'm the lily,"she said smiling as she got up to leave.
"Do you know who it is?"
"Oh yeah," she said paying for two butterbeers and placing them on the table.
"Any chance you're gonna tell me?" I said as she walked towards the door.
"Nope, cya" she said and she walked out, I sat awkwardly at the table, wondering who would be so mysterious.
"Hello Lyra," I jumped about a foot and whipped my head around to see,
"Remus! What are you doing here? I thought you were going to meet that girl?"
"I am?" He replied and handed me a note.
'Lyra I was really nervous but after the boggart I decided to ask you, will you go to the ball with me?'
I looked up at him, he was smiling nervously, I put the note down and stared at him. His smile faded but I wrapped him in a hug.
"Yes," I whispered in his ear.
"Thank you," he said and we broke apart. "here I got this one as I saw you really liked it," he said putting the box with the dress in the table.
"Wow, you went through all this trouble?" I said opening the box and feeling the dress.
"I wanted to impress you, oh yeah I also got this," and he pulled out another smaller box. I opened it and inside was a silver necklace with a green gem in the middle.
"It's beautiful," I said taking it out and holding up to the light, he beamed at me. We talked about how he had put his plan together and who knew about it and how Sirius was reluctant to let me and him go together.

At about half four we walked back to the castle hand in hand, but the surprises weren't over. As we walked through the castle doors, James, Peter, Sirius and Lily jumped out and took a picture of us holding hands.
"Gotcha!" James shouted as he looked at the picture.
"If you develop it in the right potion then it will move," Lily said.
"I'm guessing it went well then?" Sirius said grinning at me.
"Yeah she didn't suspect anything, thanks," Remus replied, squeezing my hand.

The rest of the week pasted quickly and soon it was the night before the ball.