4. Amortentia

Transfiguration went by quickly, Professor Mcgonagal lectured us about our OWLs then gave us each a tortoise to transfigure into a music box. It took my about six tries but eventually it looked passable unlike Lily's which was perfect and Peter's where his tortoise had started playing quiet jazz music every time it moved. When the bell went I packed up my books and left the class with Sirius and James, while Remus and Lily tries to get Peter's tortoise off his robes.
"I wonder what Slughorn's gonna teach us this year?" James asked airily,
"Dunno," replied Sirius staring at a blond slytherin girl, I elbowed him hard.
"What's gotten into you?" I said studying him, "suddenly you're into like every girl in the school."
"Not every girl, I would try with my sister," he said smirking at me, I hit him round the head with my book.
"Owww, ok, ok I get it?" He said cowering behind James. We got to potions quickly and quickly lined up waiting, for the others. When everyone arrived we laughed about Peter's misfortune with his tortoise. Suddenly the door burst open at Sulghorn welcomed us into the classroom. On the chalkboard it said to get into partners and set up your equipment, I looked round for Lily but she had sat next to Snape, then I looked for Sirius but he was sitting with James then I turned round and saw Remus,
smiling from a table at the back of the class room unpacking his cauldron and scales. I walk over to his desk and dump my bag under it.
"I thought you'd be with Peter?" I said unpacking my cauldron and scales.
"Oh he's ditched me for Frank," he said coolly, looking over to Peter and Frank Longbottom.
"I thought he would be with Alice," I replied looking at them too.
"She's gone to the hospital wing, she fell down the moving staircase this morning," he said putting his ingredients I front of his scales and looking at Slughorn.
"Today class I'm giving you a difficult potion, however I believe you will cope with it," Slughorn says taking the cover off a cauldron at the front of class. A sudden smell of chocolate, wet dog and a sweet smell of a warm home waft over me and I breathe in deeply looking at the cauldron. "This is Amortentia," Slughorn explains to the deeply breathing class, "does anyone know what that means?" Lily's hand shoots into the air,
"Should've guess," he said chuckling, yes miss Evans?"
"It's the strongest love potion, in the world, professor," she says quickly," and professor isn't it meant to smell differently to everyone?"
"Yes indeed, what do you smell, miss Evans?" He asks interestedly.
"I smell, flowers, fresh parchment and, and, hair gel?" She says blushing and looking down.
"Well those smells must attract you the most," he says beaming at the class, "now I want you to try and brew this potion, the instructions are in page 43 and your time starts now!" There's lots of scraping is chairs and flicking of pages.
"What did you smell?" Remus asks me flicking through his book.
"I smell, I think chocolate, wet dog and something else sweet," I reply taking out my ingredients, "you?"
"Umm I smell, some sort of perfume, chocolate and old books," he replies smiling at me.

After about ten minutes of silent potion making, I turn to Remus and say,
"What did you think of the werewolf attack?" He stiffens and turns to look at me.
"What makes you says that?" He says sternly.
"Just thought it might be something to talk about?" I reply, nervously. His face relaxes and he continues,
"I think that it's horrible, that the child was so young."
"Yeah, some werewolves are just horrible," I say chopping my roots.
"Some?" He said looking at me, "you think there might be nice werewolves?"
"Yes but if I ever met one I would be lucky?" I said putting my Roos into my cauldron.
"What do you mean lucky?" He says.
"Well if they were nice they probably wouldn't admit they were a one," I reply brushing my hair out my face.
"Yeah I suppose, but w-what would you think if you did meat one?" He said nervously looking at me.
"Well I dunno, just treat them normally, but I'll tell you what, if one ever admitted it to me I'd give them one wish, anything they wanted," I said with a small laugh.
"Why?" He said, staring at me.
"Well," I said, "it would mean they trusted me not to hate them, so I would trust them not to make me do anything stupid." He stared at me for a few seconds then there was a bang from the front row.
"What's going on? Mr Potter? Mr black?" Said Slughorn over the fuss and noise.
"Merlin's beard!" He exclaimed as the pink smoke cleared and standing next to James was me. Everyone in the class looked at me then at my clone, then understood and bust out laughing. Sirius had been turned into a girl but he looked like me because we are twins.
"James! You bloody idiot, that was the wrong ingredient!" Yelled Sirius blushing furiously. James however didn't hear him as he was doubled over with laughter. Sirius looked over at me and grinned,
"I'm still better looking," he yelled over the laughter.
"Miss Black, please take your sister to the hospital wing and explain to Madam Pomfrey what has happened," said Slughorn, trying not to laugh. I nodded at held the door open for Sirius.
"What happens?" I asked as we walked quickly to the hospital wing.
"James added, eye of newt instead of the roots," Sirius said furiously.
"Well you're better looking now," I said smirk at him. He ignored me and when we got up to the hospital wing I explained what happened to Madam Pomfrey, while Sirius sat on a bed.
"Well, it's lucky you have a twin, it will be easier to change your appearance back," she said taking out a bottle full of purple liquid.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Well it hasn't made a new person it's just made a copy so it will be easy for the potion to wear off," she replied giving a spoonful of the purple liquid to Sirius, "you'll only look like this for about two hours then you'll be back to normal, so I suggest you stay here for the rest of the day."
"Urgh, that's horrible," he said pulling a face as he took the liquid.
"Well what did you expect? Pumpkin juice?" She said, " you can go back to class now, Lyra." I walked back to the dungeons thinking about what Remus had said about werewolves, why was he so strange about the subject? Maybe he knew one or something.
"Is that Lyra or Sirius?" Said Slughorn when u entered the class.
"It's Lyra, sir," I reply and I go to sit at my desk but Remus isn't sitting there,I scan the room to see where he is and spot him, whispering to James and Peter all of them looking concerned, j then spot Lily and Snape having a whispered argument about something. I walk over to them but as I grow closer, Peter elbows James and nods at me, they all look up and James whispers something in Remus' ear.
"What are you whispering about?" I ask with raised eyebrows.
"Nothing, just erm," Peter says trying to look casual.
"Yeah just boy stuff," says James. Remus nods and hurried to his cauldron. When the bell went Slughorn said,
"Everyone bring a sample of your potion to the front for me to mark, I bottled some of my potion and took it to the front with Remus, his looked better than mine but he didn't say anything. After we handed out samples in James, Peter and Remus all rushed out without saying anything.
How strange I thought as I walked to dinner with Lily. The rest of the day went by quickly with no sign of Sirius till we got backtrack o the common room and I went straight to bed as I was very tired.