5. Quidditch tryouts

The first few weeks at school pasted in a flurry of detentions, homework and late night studying. Soon it was October and quidditch season had started. A notice went up in the Gryffindor common room,
'Anyone wishing to try out for the Gryffindor quidditch team should write their name on the list below, try outs first Saturday of the second Saturday of October.'
"You gonna try out?" I said to Sirius.
"Yeah I might try for a beater, you?" He said writing his name on the list.
"Yes definitely gonna try for seeker or chaser maybe," I replied taking the quill from Sirius.
"Well I'll be glad to see you there," said a voice from behind us. James had just come down from his dormitory with a quidditch captain badge on.
"Oh yeah I forgot you were the captain," I said, "do you think I'll make it?"
"Hmmm maybe you might be lacking certain qualities," he said in mock concern.
"Like what?" I asked with my hands in my hips, but as he started to talk I saw Remus come down the stairs, his hair was messy and as he came closer I caught the smell of chocolate and the sweet sent I had smelled in potions. Sudden I was jerked out of my daydream of us walking by the lake by James clicking his fingers in my face.
"Huh?" I said blinking at him, everyone stared laughing.
"That's exactly my point," he said shaking his head, "I said like the ability to concentrate on something."
"Oh, well I knew that," I said crossing my arms.
"Sure you did," sneered Sirius turning to walk out of the portrait hole.
"Where are you going?" I yell after him.
"I'm meeting the very pretty ravenclaw on the grounds," he shouted back.
"I didn't know he had a girlfriend," I said turning round to face the others.
"He doesn't," said Remus I stared at him.
"What's that suppose to mean?" I said.
"Lyra, haven't you noticed your brother is a playboy?" Said James in surprise. I stared at them for a few seconds before Remus said,
"Les go down to breakfast," and we headed for the great hall. When we got down we met Sirius who was sitting with a ravenclaw, Remus gave me a 'I told you so' look before sitting opposite to Sirius. When I sat next to Sirius the girl next to him glared at me, I smiled at her but she just moved her eyes to look at my brother. The weeks leading up to quidditch pasted quickly, I saw my brother snogging about six different girls from different years and houses. The morning of the quidditch try outs I woke up early again, I dressed into my lucky top, jeans and my blue hoodie. I thought I was the only one awake so I crept downstairs, thinking of going for a walk, but when I got halfway down the stairs to the common room I heard voices.
"Look here it says you have to have a mandrake leaf in your mouth for a month,"
"What we can't bunt classes for a month,"
"Maybe we could say we're doing a sponsored silence,"
"Never mind that now,"
"Then we have to make a potion and recite an incantation daily,"
"That's not too bad," I went down another step but it made a creaking noise.
"Shut up Sirius, I think I heard someone," silence, I wondered wether to reveal myself then,
"Come on let's go to the whomping willow,"
"Yeah Remus will be back soon," there was some shuffling then about three people's footsteps walked out the portraits hole. I didn't know what they were doing but I was almost certain it was James, Sirius and Peter.

I didn't see any of them until I went down to the quidditch pitch, Remus and Peter were in the stands and James and Sirius were joking around on the pitch.
"Alright Lyra?" Said James waving his hand.
"Yeah," I said, I had decided not to confront them yet. After a few more people turned up James told us to fly twice round the field in groups of five to seven, the first group flew well, the second were rubbish and now it was my groups turn, I mounted my broom, looked over a Sirius who gave me a reassuring grin, and at James' whistle I kicked off.
I hadn't flown in ages but as soon as I was up it felt right, I felt alive, the wind in my hair, speeding over land. Me and Sirius raced each other round the field twice, he won but that's only because he had a better broom, a Nimbus 1000, I had a comet 100. After that the keepers had their tryouts, a 6th year boy called jack hunter got that, then beaters, Sirius and a 4th year boy called Andrew Davison got in, then chasers James was already a chaser so only two others got in, Amelia Bond and Kate Jackson. Then James yelled,
"Anyone for seekers line up here." Me and three others lined up, as James studied us he gave me a swift smile.
"Right Lyra with Brown and Laker with Jordan, I want you to throw these golf balls at each other," he said giving us five gold balls each, "who ever catches the most gets in." Soon we were up in the air and George Brown was throwing golf balls at me trying to make me miss, but I caught every one. I threw them at him and he misses one and fumbled with two. Then the whistle blew and we landed.
"Lyra you caught all of them, wow," said James in awe, well I think that settles it, you're the new Gryffindor seeker." I grinned as I heard cheers from the stands and looked over to see Sirius, Peter and Lily cheering, I bowed at them in a mock sort of way.
"Lyra, Frank said there's going to be a party in the common room," James whispered in my ear.
"Ok I'll go tell the others," I said running to the stands.
"Th-there's a p-party in-in the common r-room," I painted when I got up to where they were sitting.
"You were great!" Squealed Lily as she flung herself on me.
"Yeah you caught all the golf balls he threw at you and some of those were really unfair," said Peter beaming at me.
"Well done sis, you were definitely the best," said Sirius slapping me on the back. I looked round for Remus and saw him asleep on the bench, non of the others seemed to notice as they had already started to walk back. I watched him sleep for a while then I turned to see where the others were, they were already down at the pitch. Thinking they wouldn't miss me I sat down next to Remus and took off my jacket and hung it around his shoulders, as my hand brushed his arm I felt his skin, it was freezing. I conjured a blue flame and held it in my hand near him for warmth. I waited about two hours with him, by which time it was starting to get dark. I looked at the sunset thinking about waking Remus for a while, when I noticed his deep breathing had stoped. I turned around to see he was sitting up and smiling at me.
"How long have you been watching me?" I asked turn my whole body round.
"Could ask you the same thing," he replied smirking.
"I've been here since about four so two hours," I said leaning back, "you?"
"I woke up about five minutes ago," he said stretching.
"And you didn't tell me?" I said raising my eyebrows.
"Again I could say the same thing," he said grinning, "you waited here two hours just watching me sleep?"
"Yeah, I er, didn't want to wake you," I said not looking at him, he grinned.
"I got in," I said changing the subject, "I'm gryffindor seeker!"
"That's amazing!" He said beaming at me, "I saw you flying earlier, you were really good," he said blushing slightly.
"Thanks," I said blushing too. This was the first time we had been properly alone.