35. Lily's mistake

It had been a week since me and Malfoy had fought, he was still mad that I had gotten away with it without and punishment.
"She almost blew me to pieces! How come I get detention but she doesn't even get ten points from Gryffindor!" He howled after lunch on Saturday. I grinned and looked at Remus, he was very pale and he was looking at the ceiling blankly.
"Hey! Greypaws! Guess what! I just earned Gryffindor 50 points!" Jack said bounding over to me.
"That's great!" I said, smiling.
"Hey, Jack over here!" Some boys yelled from the entrance hall.
"Gotta go, bye," and Jack ran off to meet his friends.
"I can't wait for tonight!" Sirius said excitedly.
"It's going to be great!" Peter said. Remus rolled his eyes.
"You might think so," he muttered darkly.
"Meet in the shrieking shack at 8?" I said.
"Yeah," James said as we all went to different detentions. I had Professor Slughorn with Lily, I was meeting her there.

"Hello, Miss Black, tonight you will be sorting these ingredients with Miss Evans," Slughorn said when I walked into the classroom. Me and Lily stayed sorting the ingredients for ages, being able to talk as Slughorn liked us.
"Merlin's beard! Look at the time, off you go girls," Slughorn said, I looked at my watch, it was quarter to nine, I would have to run.
"Lily, I have to go somewhere I'll be back later," I said, walking quickly down the corridor.
"Ok," she said, I eyed her, she was normally more curious, I disregarded it as I headed for the grounds. I started to run, but when I got into the grounds I hit something.
"Lyra? Is that you?" Sirius said.
"Yeah, what's going on?" I said.
"Dunno, but Remus changed early and he's not acting normal, let's get back to the castle," James said from behind Sirius. We ran back up to the castle, and looked back at the entrance hall. Then suddenly there was a scream from the grounds.
"Lily!" I said and I ran out casting a shield charm so the boys wouldn't follow me. I transformed into Greypaws as I ran and I soon can upon Lily and Moony by the forest. I jumped in front of Lily and faced the werewolf, growling. The moon was shining bright illuminating the scene, the werewolf growled at me, but I stood my grounds. It picked me up and threw me against a tree, I yelped in pain as I felt my rib crack. In me pain I shifted back into human, the werewolf bore down on me.
"Lyra?" Lily said.
"Lily, run!" I said, breathlessly. The werewolf swiped my face and roared at me, I flinched. It turned back to Lily but before it made a move I had shifted and had run and bitten its arm. It turned around as I tried to drag it away. It shook me off and we started to fight, ripping at each other's fur and skin. I fell to the ground and it picked me up again to throw me against a tree, I yelped again as my head throbbed, it slashed my back, then bit me, I yelped again as I felt blood on me, I was loosing conscious.
"Hey!" Lily shouted, she threw a stick at the werewolf, it turned round as I shifted back again, my energy depleting.
"Lily, no," I groaned, "run!"
"I'm not leavening you!" She said. The werewolf roared at her, I had not energy to shift into Greypaws so I got to my feet.
"Hey! Moony! Over here!" I shouted and it turned round. "It's me, Lyra, remember me?" I used some of my energy to shift into Greypaws, I bent down playfully. Something seemed to flicker in the werewolf's eyes and it stopped bearing its teeth, it nudge me. I yelped in pain as I shifted, loosing my energy. It started to growl again and it's claws gripped my throat, I choked as it lifted me up.
"Run," I croaked at Lily, but she whipped out her wand.
"Sectumsempra!" She said, the werewolf dropped me as if howled in pain and gashes appeared all over it body.
"No!" I said, gasping for air. I ran forward to help, it was lying on the floor, pools of blood appearing. I took out my wand and started to heal them, I still had gashes all over me and every inch of my body was in pain but Remus already insured enough pain.
"Come on!" Lily said and she grabbed my arm, the wounds had started to heal, I stood up and swayed slightly, Lily caught me and helped me up to the castle, I was barely conscious when she hauled me threw the oak doors.
"Lyra!" Sirius said, rushing to help Lily.
"We have to get her to the common room," James said. I fainted.

I woke up to a warm fire and voices, I sat up slightly and winced as sharp pains went through my head, ribs, arm, shoulder and leg.
"Don't sit up," Sirius said, I ignored him.
"Where's Remus?" I asked.
"Still on the grounds probably," James said.
"I need to go find him," I said, swinging my legs off the sofa.
"No you don't," Sirius said pushing me back, I gasped with pain when he pushed my shoulder. "Yes I do, he's hurt, I need to help him," I said, hitting his arm away and standing up. Pain shot up my leg, I lifted it from the ground a bit as I started to limo to the portrait hole.
"Lyra! Even if you do go out, you look a mess, I mean you have gashes down your face, chest and back, you're bleeding and you have at least five broken bones," Lily said.
"I don't care," I replied and I climbed out the portrait hole. I walked down to the grounds, not meeting any teachers luckily, my leg was killing me but I kept going. Outside it was just becoming light, I walked to where we were, I saw a boy laying unconscious on the grass, scars all over his chest and back, I quickly took my cloak and covered him, as he was shaking.
"Remus?" I said as I knelt down beside him.
He mumbled in his sleep, I turned him over, he had scratches over his face.