11. Christmas eve

By the night before the ball the whole school was itching with excitement. Me and Lily kept having whispered conversations at breakfast or in the common room,
"Do you think he's going to ask you out?" Lily whispered, while I was doing my transfiguration homework.
"I don't know do I? I'm not a legilimence," I hissed back.
"I know James will I mean he's been asking me for about for years now," Lily said doodling on her parchment.
"What are you gonna say?" I mused.
"I'll say what I say every time," she replied flicking her hair.
"Yeah, go stick your big fat head up your-" I mimicked.
"That was one time!" She huffed, "and anyway he was being a right prat, don't you remember he was cursing Severus?"
"Oh yeah that was funny, he had big boils all over his greasy-" but she quelled me with a glare. We sat in silence for a while, then Lily said she was going to get some beauty sleep for the ball and she went to bed. I was left writing frantically about human transfiguration and the dangers and precautions. I flicked through my book, that professor Mcgonagal had let me get out of the restricted section, and a word jumped out at me 'mandrake' I stoped on the page and remembered a conversation, 'it says we have to hold a mandrake leaf in our mouths for a month' I read the chapter to see if I could find out what the boys were doing.
'To become an animagi one must hold a mandrake leaf in their mouth for a month, then use the leaf to make a position, potion must be drank everyday while reciting the incantation, Amato Animo Animato Animagus.' I slammed
the book shut, they were trying to become animagi. I couldn't carry on with my transfiguration homework so I patched away my stuff and went to bed.

"Lyra! Wake up!" Lily was shrieking at me.
"T's wrong?" I groaned rolling over.
"Get up, it's the morning of the ball and we need to get ready!" She said shaking me.
"We don't need six hours to get ready," I moaned trying to wave her away, it went quiet and I thought she had finally given up. Suddenly a cold feeling, on my neck, jolted me out of my sleep and sitting upright.
"What the bloody hell was that?!" I shouted as Lily laughed at my reaction.
"It's just a wet flannel," she said holding up a damp flannel. I waited for her to stop laughing before throwing my pillow at her.
"Hey, I'm sorry but you weren't getting up and it's almost lunchtime," she said throwing it back.
"So, we still only need about an hour to get ready maybe even forty five minutes," I said sloping out of bed.
"Yeah well we were meant to meet the boys for a snowball fight remember?" She said throwing me a pair of black jeans, red t-shirt and a grey hoodie. I pulled them on and she dragged me down for lunch, after we finished we went outside to meet the boys  at around two.
"There they are," James shouted from the entrance hall.
"Finally, what are the teams?" I shouted back.
"Me and Sirius are team captains, you four number yourself and we will pick," he replied. Peter and Remus trudged the rest of the way down and we numbered ourselves 1-4.
"Ok ready!" Lily shouted at them and James and Sirius bounded towards us.
"I'll go first," Sirius said surveying us, "three." I stepped forward to stand next to him.
"Ok, 2," James said grinning as Lily stood next to him.
"Erm, 4." Remus shuffled towards us and Peter went it James and Lily. We threw snowballs at each other for a few hours, then at about 4 Lily dragged me off to get ready for the ball.
"Lily I'm sure we don't need three hours."
"You never know," she replied as she dragged me to gryffindor tower,"firewhiskey."

I had a quick showier then, slipped into my dress and twirled I front of the mirror, the dark purple really did bring out my eyes.
"Ooohh, it's beautiful," Lily squealed, I turned around to see Lily in a dark red dress that trailed behind her.
"So is yours," I said in awe and how it flowed behind her like flames. After a few minutes of admire each other's dresses, Lily started to do her makeup. I sat in front of a mirror utterly lost when I came to makeup.
"I'm guessing you'll want help?" She mused from her mirror.
"Uh, yeah I'm clueless when. It comes to makeup," I replied.
"Ok I'll do yours after I've finished mine," she said. Once she finished hers she looked stunning.
"You look gorgeous," I said staring at her.
"This is only minimal, I've got something slightly bigger planes for you," she said grinning and she set to work.

About half an hour later she pulled away.
"Finished!" She squealed.
I looked into the mirror, but a totally different hi stared back, she was stunning with long lashes, rosy cheeks, bright eyes, hardly any scaring and defined cheek bones.
"A-and you didn't use magic?" I said uncertainly.
"Nope I only defined your features and you looking stunning," she said beaming at me.
"It's amazing," I said in shock.
"Come on it's half six lets go meet them," she said grabbing my arm.
"Wait," I said dashing to my bedside table. I pulled out the small box and lifted the necklace out and draped it round my neck.
"Where'd you get that?" Said Lily in awe.
"Remus gave it to me," I said simply, "how do I look?" I said twirling round.
"Amazing," Lily replied, "now let's go."