Remus Lupin- Friends (c)

You'd only worked at Hogwarts since the beginning of the school year, it was a big change to have come back to the school, no longer a student and now being the new Muggle Studies teacher. Some of the professors that were now you colleagues had taught you when you were at school, whilst a couple of them had been students at the same time that you were.

Although you were a couple of years younger than Remus Lupin and Severus Snape, you recalled them from your time at Hogwarts, along with the fact that your opinions had not really changed on them since school.

At the professors table, you were sat at the end next to Remus, having spent mealtimes getting to know each other a little better, however he was as closed off as he had been when you were at school. He never missed dinner, sometimes he would miss breakfast and his classes but it made you worry that today, the food had been served and there was no Defence Against the Dark Arts professor sat next to you.

You excused yourself from conversation with Hagrid, you grabbed a plate, piling on a variety of food and making your way out of the Great Hall to go to Remus' chambers.

When you reached the door to his chambers, you let your knuckles collide with the wood. You heard gentle shuffling from the room before the door opened a sliver.

"Evening, Remus," you smiled warmly.

"Y/N? What are you doing here? Isn't it dinner time?"

"Yes. That is why I am here actually. Thought you might be hungry, so I brought you some food. I wasn't sure what type of stuff that you would like so I brought a bit of everything," you said gesturing to the plate that you were holding. "Can I come in?"

He opened the door a bit more to let you in. You made your way in, putting the plate down on the coffee table. Remus gestured to the sofa to tell you to take a seat as he sat down in the chair opposite.

"Thank you," he whispered.

Remus generally looked tired. The years hadn't been too kind and he looked affair bit older than he actually was, but today he looked worse than usual. The dark bags under his eyes were a fair bit darker than usual, the scars on his face more prominent against his pale skin and his hair a mess on top of his head.

"Are you okay?" You asked gently, handing him the fork you had borrowed from the great hall.

"Yeah," he nodded his head. "Why do you ask?"

You shrugged your shoulders not wanting to pry in his life, just wanting to make sure that he was okay.

"You never miss the evening meals. But I do find it rather odd. You don't seem to talk to anyone. Not any of the staff I mean. Well you speak in passing but you've been here longer than me and you haven't really talked to anyone other than me, and I didn't exactly give you a choice. The only people I ever see you talking to are your students within classes or straight after them. And on occasion Severus, but those are generally heated conversations; arguments for a lack of a better word," you said softly.

He chuckled, giving you a weak smile. "I guess you could say I'm a lone wolf."

"Doesn't it get lonely?" You questioned.

"I urm... guess... but I'm used to it now."

You felt bad for him, appearing through your sympathetic smile.

"It shouldn't have to be that way. I consider you my friend. Well my only friend for that matter. And what's that saying an enemy of my enemy is my friend? We both agree that Severus is a bit of prick, I think we'd get along well if you wanted to actually talk to me outside of meal times. I know I am a pain, I'm sorry."

For the first time since you had worked at Hogwarts, you could see that Remus had a genuine smile on his face.

"I would very much like that."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by