Neville Longbottom- Scout Handshake (c)

The hospital wing was surprisingly busy. It was the start of the year, and supposedly it was normal for a lot of first years to end up here due to silly mistakes and pure accidents. Every bed was filled, so when a boy was brought in by a teacher, you didn't know where he was meant to go.

Madam Pomfrey excused the teacher whom had brought him in, helping him over to where you were.

"We've run out of beds, is it okay if he sits with you for a moment?" She asked.

You nodded. He seemed hesitant, but perched himself on the edge of the bed, with your injured leg behind him.

She scurried off to another student whom was in worse shape than the two of you were.

The boy's eyes were puffy and red, with tears still faintly falling down his checks. You presumed he'd hurt his arm or wrist due to him cradling it to his chest.

"Are you okay?" You questioned. It was a stupid question, clearly he wasn't okay if he ended up in here, but it was still valid enough to start a conversation.

"I... I guess," he sniffled.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking, that is," you smiled softly.

He looked up still tearful. "I fell off of my broom. Madam Hooch says I broke my wrist. What happened to you?"

You gave the boy a pitiful smile. You hadn't had a flying lesson yet, you were supposed to have one tomorrow, but you knew it wouldn't go well, you'd probably end up back here afterwards.

"Sprained my ankle."

"How?"

"Oh...um... I stood up in potions class and tripped over," you sighed.

Unlike the whole class whom had seem you fall over, and the students that overheard you talking to Madam Pomfrey about the injury, he didn't laugh at you. Even Madam Pomfrey found it slightly amusing, the only other person to not laugh at you after seeing or hearing about it, was Professor Snape and that was because he was angry that you 'disrupted his lesson with your foolish antics'. How tripping over classed as a 'foolish antic' was beyond you.

"You sound as clumsy as I am," he stated.

"My Grandad always said that my feet were at war with each other, the amount I tripped over," you smiled softly.

He smiled in response, wincing as he went to move as it hurt his wrist.

"I'm Y/N," you stated putting out your hand for him to shake, but quickly realised it wasn't smart, so traded it for your left hand. "I guess a scout handshake is needed."

He furrowed his eyebrows shaking your hand. "I'm Neville. What's a scout handshake?"

You let out a soft laugh. Although you had learnt that those whom had lived with the knowledge of magic found it amusing that you were completely ignorant to the fact of anything to do with magic, in your short time in Hogwarts, you'd equally learnt that many of your peers had no knowledge of the muggle world.

"The scouts and the guides are clubs and they shake with their left hand when greeting other scouts and guides as a sign of bravery and respect. I'm gathering that you were never in any of the scout association clubs, however by your robes I assume you're a Gryffindor, so I guess it works well enough," you shrugged, rambling slightly.

"Oh."

"Sorry. I ramble a lot. You came in here with a broken wrist, you'll leave with a headache," you sighed.

"It's okay. I don't mind. You're nice. I haven't really spoke to anyone really, not unless I had to in class or my roommates," he stated. "I don't really have many friends yet, not that I imagine I shall get many."

You shook your head at the boy sat in front of you.

"Well I'm your friend now. I'd have rather not have met you due to getting injured at the same time, but we shall be friends nevertheless."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.