Marlene McKinnon- Brave (c)

Not once since you had met her, did you think that you could see her so broken. Marlene had always been the strongest person you had known, and although she wasn't as emotionally constipated as some of your friends, she never faltered her control over how she felt, and was always able to use it to her own advantage.

It was different now. It wasn't as though you hadn't seen Marlene cry before. You had on numerous occasions, but usually it was from laughing too much, or because she'd gotten so annoyed tears fell down her cheeks. Now she was out of control and curled up on the sofa in your living room.

"Marlene," you whispered not wanting to startle her.

She looked up at you, wiping her eyes wanting to hide her tears.

"What's wrong?" You asked.

What wasn't wrong? It was a stupid question. It was the middle of a war, and it wasn't going very well. Everyone was scared and hope was hard to grasp anymore, but you weren't certain what had set her off today.

"I was stupid to think that I could do this," she sighed. "Nothing good is going to come from this war. We are going to lose those we love. I don't want to lose you Y/N. I love you Y/N. I just don't know how to do this anymore. Somehow I have spent this long thinking it would just pass and everything would be fine, but I'm scared. I'm scared that I'm scared."

You knelt down in front of her, resting your hands onto her knees, rubbing her leg softly, attempting to comfort her.

"I love you too. And that's why I know we can do this. You're brave Marlene. You are the bravest person I know. You have shouted at Lily before, no one does that unless they have a death wish," you smiled softly.

"She said yes to Potter. He was an idiot. He still is an idiot, but she loves him," she shrugged.

"I know. James is the biggest idiot I know. But he's brave and he cares about what's right. So does Lily. And Remus. And Sirius. And Peter. We are all here for each other and no matter if it plays on all of their pride, we all know you are the bravest. You face fear every day and you are still able to be the most beautiful woman in the world, and are able to be there for me, and for your friends and to be Harry's second favourite aunt," you smiled encouragingly.

Her eyes rolled at your comment, a smirk forming on her lips. "I'm his favourite aunt and you know it."

You grinned at your girlfriend. You knew that Harry loved you more, but you weren't going to argue with her, as she was finally acting like herself again, and at this point that's all you wanted.

"Whatever you say love. But we can do this. Together we are unstoppable. We will end this sick bastard, and we will all be happy. James and Lily will pop out more sprogs. Sirius and Remus will finally admit their feelings and get together. We'll get married one day and adopt. Maybe Peter will even find someone. We are family, not by blood but we need each other," you smiled. "Now wipe away those tears, and kiss me McKinnon."

"What?" She laughed.

"I said kiss me. We may be in a dark time, but I still want to be able to snog my girlfriend. And then you are going to realise you are perfect. You are scared and you don't know how to cope with this, but none of us do. However you are braver than brave, and you are going to prove to the world that you can do this. Soon your name is going to be in headlines. And everyone will know about the hero Marlene McKinnon," you grinned.

Once again she rolled her eyes, but this time leaned forward resting a hand onto your cheek, to bring your lips to meet with hers.

"You're so cheesy, it's kind of sickening," she stated, pressing her forehead to yours.

"But that's why you love me."

She hummed, kissing you again.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.