Chapter 69: Revelations

River's P.O.V.

I knocked on Macy's, Grayson's aunt, door and waited for an answer.

It opened shortly and I was met with the obviously annoyed face of Jenna.

"Nice to see you too gorgeous."

She rolled her eyes and pulled me in then shut the door.

"Aunt Macy, Ocean's here." She yelled.

"Its River actually." I corrected her.

She sighed in response. "What's the difference?"

Macy rolled in with her wheelchair with a smiling face.

"Its nice to see someone's happy around here." I stated.

"Oh ignore Jenna." She retorted. "She tends to act this way with people she doesnt really know."

"So Jenna, are you ready?"

"Do I really have a choice?"

"Sweetheart, don't be so mean to him. He's only trying to help you."

I heard a room door in the back open and seconds later Elise walked in.

She stared at me more with an empty expression on her face.

"Hey, dad." She said.

What?

Did she really just say what I think she said?

"Umm... Excuse me?"

"I didnt stutter did I?" She asked.

Jesus Christ why were teenagers such brats?

"I just-"

"Didnt expect that?" She finished my sentence while laughing.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Come on, we look just alike. You're not gonna find many people in Minnesota with black hair and eyes as blue as ours. Plus, we have the same exact birthmark in the same exact place."

She grabbed my hand and held it next to her right hand.

"See."

"Maybe its just a coincidence. Doesn't mean I'm your dad."

"Oh whatever. I know you are. And besides, the first time you came over here you asked me what my mom's name was and when I said Sarah you started acting all weird."

"Still doesn't mean I'm your dad."

"But you are. My mom used to tell me stories about you. About how she worked at the same hospital you did but you never noticed her because she was just a janitor. About how pretty your eyes were. And how amazing your smile was. Not to mention how in love she was with your laugh because it was rare whenever she actually saw you laugh considering, as she put it, 'Making him laugh is possibly the hardest thing ever'. She'd always tell me how much I looked like you. And how much of a mysterious person you were. As well as how big of a jerk you were. But the one thing she'd always come back to were your eyes. She said that when you look into them its like you go into some sort of trance. And she told me once that if I ever came across someone that I thought was my dad to look him in the eyes and I'd immediately know."

"Is that why you always stare at me?"

"Yea. Now as I said before, hey... dad."

For some reason that was such a special moment for me.

We sat and talked for a while and let me tell you, she was a huge drama queen.

There were moments when I honestly felt like telling her to shut up but I managed to control myself.

River. On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara