Chapter 28: New Year New...Life?

A/N

COMMENT! COMMENT! COMMENT! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS CHAPTER PLEASE! 😊

**********************

Cassidy's P.O.V.

"Well I'm happy for you two. Glad you guys finally worked it all out." Lindsay said.

We'd been talking on the phone for 3 hours straight and it was 9 pm already. I missed that girl so much even though I'd only been gone for a week.

"Yea me too. So you missing Max yet?" I asked her.

"Oh my god yes. You have no idea how depressed I am without him. UGH." She groaned.

I laughed then decided to tease her a bit.

"You know." I began. "He was walking around without a shirt last night and I couldn't help but notice that he's gotten a lot more muscular."

"Cassie stop!!!" She yelled. "You're killing me!!"

I laughed even harder but decided not to keep messing with her.

"Okay." I gave in. "Well I think I'm gonna call it a night. I'm tired as hell. I'll call you tomorrow though."

"Alright. Night." She replied.

"Night."

I hung up the phone and got up from my bed and went down to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.

"Hey babygirl." Dad said. He was sitting at the table with one of his co-workers from the hospital named Mitchell.

"Hey Dad, hey Mitch." I said.

"Hey Cassidy." Mitchell replied.

I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and went back upstairs. As I was passing the den my arm was suddenly grabbed and pulled into the room.

At first I was completely thrown off but it turned out to be River.

"What?" I asked.

"I just wanna talk to you for a while." He stated as he led me to the couch. I sat down and he sat next to me...not too close though.

"Cassidy, are you afraid of me?" He asked.

My eyes widened a bit. I wasn't expecting that question at all.

"What do you mean?" I questioned him, wanting him to clarify what he'd just asked.

"Are you still afraid that I'm gonna break your heart?" He said more specifically. "That I'm still just manipulating you?"

"Why are you asking me this?"

"Because you've been avoiding me all day, you haven't said a word to me until now and you still won't even look at me. Did I say something wrong last night? Did you think I was lying?" He asked. "Was the ring too much?"

This was the first time I'd ever seen River worried. It was kinda cute though.

When I was about to answer I found myself closing my mouth. The truth was yes, well no. A small part of me really did feel like he was still just trying to get in my pants but then again the other part felt like he was being honest about what he said last night.

Obviously I looked nervous. And I'm guessing my nervousness came off as fear because he got closer to me and grabbed my hand.

"Baby I wanna be with you. I don't know how much I can express that. I know you're nervous about all of this and you honestly have a right to be. Sure I have a reputation for sleeping around with different women all of the time and cheating but I won't do that to you."