Chapter 67: The Breakdown

Start from the beginning

Its harder to admit having feelings for someone you've known for almost 20 years vs someone you've known for just about a year.

Not to mention I have to face the wrath of Xander when he finds out what's been going on between the two of us.

I needed an escape.

I continued driving down the dark back road. Avoiding the intimidating trees on either side of me.

It was already 11:30 at night so no other car was on the road.

I subconsciously pressed on the gas a little harder as the frustration took over.

Within minutes I was at my destination.

I parked along the side of the road and crossed to the other side.

I jumped the fence and made my way through the cemetery attempting to find Reese's grave in the darkness.

I noticed a tree that looked familiar and I caught a glance of a pillar that I remembered seeing the day we buried Reese.

I let my instincts guide me but stopped when I suddenly saw something.

The silhouette of a person sitting.

As I walked closer the silhouette began to turn into a clear image of a person.

And not just any person ....

It was River.

I couldn't believe it.

He was sitting next to Reese's grave with a beer bottle in one hand and a marble in the other.

He kept looking right past me as if he saw someone behind me.

But he never looked at me.

I sat down on the other side of Reese's grave and stared with him.

After about five minutes of us staring at nothing in silence I finally spoke up.

"I miss him too."

He continued staring into the distance as he played with the marble in his hand.

But he didnt say a word.

Instead he took a sip of his beer and continued pretending like I wasnt there.

"It feels weird seeing you drinking again." I stated.

He chuckled a little.

"It feels weird to drink again."

Then he took another drink.

"But its the only thing keeping me from doing something I might regret."

"So, why are you here this late at night?" I asked.

"Same reason you are."

"Which would be?"

"I need a break from reality."

He finally turned his head to look at me and I almost didnt even recognize who he was.

All I saw was stress, confusion, sadness, depression, frustration, and anxiety.

His eyes were even more gray than they were blue.

"Where've you been?" I managed to ask.

"Does it really matter?" He retorted.

"Its been two weeks River. Everyone's worried about you."

"I've been figuring things out, on my own."