─ xxix. ethereal

It must have been about 12:00 midnight when Jughead made it over to The Montoya Estate. What Manic said still weighing heavy on his mind but for now, he pushed that back and focused on seeing his girlfriend.

He got a text from her saying that her dad was gone on a business trip for a week and her mom was visiting her mom so he could go through the front door. Which he was grateful for. He almost fell into her pool last time he climbed to her window. Which was really high.

He walked up the long driveway and knocked on the door.

Lola answered the door after 5 seconds. She was in a tank top and sweat shorts. Her hair was wet and she was free of make up. And she still looked absolutely gorgeous. More so since she had no type of makeup covering her.

"Hey, Juggy," she said, stepping aside to let him out. Jughead smiled and walked in. "I swear your house is bigger than a football field. She laughed, closing the door behind her.

"Yeah, we get that a lot."
She grabbed his hand, gently pulling him to her kitchen. "I'm in the process of making cupcakes for no apparent reason and I want you to help me,"

He laughed a little as they entered the huge kitchen. On the big island in the middle of the kitchen had a lot of baking stuff and vanilla cake batter everywhere.

"I see you've kept busy," he joked. Lola playfully pushed him before walking over to the other side of the island. "Sue me, I had a very trying day."

Curious, Jughead sat on one of the tall chairs at the island. "What happened?"

Lola sighed and got on with her story.
"To make a long story short, I got a text from Betty because she wanted to talk about her family and Polly, went to investigate a car apparently Jason hid for them, and now Polly's missing,"

Jughead frowned. Car? Polly's missing?

He sure did miss a lot. He's sure that he'll get the information from Betty at school.

"But enough about that," she said stirring the batter. "What'd you do when I was playing Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson?"

Jughead thought for a second. Should he tell her that he saw Manic?

He knew she would be angry if she didn't know. But from how Manic talked to him, he didn't want to be found. But still....it wasn't right to keep this from her.

"....I saw Manic..." he thought out loud, not really meaning to say it out loud. Lola stopped what she was doing and looked at him with shock.

"Today? You saw him today?"

Shit.
There was no going back from this now.

Jughead sighed, taking off his hat and running his fingers through his hair.

"Yeah I did...he uh...." he trailed off, trying to find the right words to say without seeming like an asshole. Even though he was incapacitated being brutally honest. "He...said something about wanting to find the truth...whatever that was..."

He purposely left out the part where he said that she was lying about herself to him. It wasn't the right time to say that.