─ viii. hard soul's remorse

( chapter eight! )
─ when you're caught in a landslide, I'll be there for you

( chapter eight! )─ when you're caught in a landslide, I'll be there for you

──

      Like a mindless zombie, Manic went on about his day. Not a word spoken, an expression made, or any type of attitude. His friends noticed his dark cloud and tried to talk to him but was met with a menacing glare and silence.

He was emotionally drained. From any emotions.

And when the end of the day came, Manic sat in the passenger seat of his sister's car with his sunglasses on to hide the red eyes behind them. Lola could feel that something was wrong with him. He was silent and he didn't go to his English class. Plus, she could always tell when her twin brother was sad. Like he is now.

"Manic, where were you? You didn't go to English class," she gently asked as they came to a stop light. Manic said nothing. His head facing the window and he was slumped on his seat with his arms crossed. Lola sighed, continuing to drive.

"You know.....what I said about Jack earlier...I'm sorry, I know it's a sensitive subject to bring up and I forgot about that.. So I'm sorry," she apologized.

But when she was met with silence, she was shocked. Usually, he would come back with "Haha I told you so, I'm the better twin admit it!" But he didn't say anything. And that worried her.

When he got home, he went straight to his room and slammed the door behind him. He didn't go down for dinner or nothing. He stayed up and looked at old videos of him and Jason from elementary school to before he died.

"Manic, you can't touch that!" 4 year old Jason yelled, running in front of the camera wearing a fire fighters hat. Young Manic paused and dropped the rock quickly back into the sand. "Dude that's fire, come on before you burn to death!"
The two toddlers ran and climbed the huge jungle gym to the top to get away from the sand. "Dad, you're in the fire!" Manic yelled, hugging the pole.
"Boys, what are you doing?" Mr. Montoya said from behind the camera.
"We're playing Firefighters, Mr.Montoya!" Jason said with a cheerful smile.
Manic nodded rapidly with his own big smile. "Yeah, dad and you gotta get up here before you burn!" 
Both boys started yelling at him to hurry or 'he's gonna burn!'

Manic grinned fondly at the screen as he clicked on his other video from when he was about to graduate middle school. They got ready with the Blossoms and their mansion.

"There goes my handsome boy!" Caramia gushed, rushing over to the 14 year old Manic. He rolled his eyes, playing with his tie. "Mamaaaa! Come on!"

"Aww, you're adorable Manny," said Jason as he walked in wearing a nice burgundy suite with his blue cap and gown.
Manic tossed his pen at him. "Shut up,"

"You two must be very proud, graduating together," Mrs.Blossom said, walking in with a smile.
"Of course, mom." Jason said, throwing his arm around Manic, who smiled towards the camera."this is my best friend, my brother."
"Congrats, brother," Manic said with a smile.
Jason smiled back, "Congrats, brother."

Manic smiled even more at the video. One of the best days of his life. Graduating with his best friend.
He clicked on another video that was titled 'Happy Birthday, Manic and Jason!'

The video started with a house party at the Blossoms. Manic and Jason just made it into high school and it was July 8th. Manic and Lola were turning 15. Cheryl and Jason's birthday were the day after so they wanted to celebrate together.

"Happy birthday, Manic!" Jason, kinda drunk, yelled with both his arms around Reggie and Moose, who were just as drunk. "Woooooo! Happy birthday man!!!" Reggie cheered, looking into the camera as the party raged on with music and people cheering.
"Where's Manic!?" Jason yelled over the music, letting go of the two go. The camera view (who was his butler) following him as he searched through the crowd.

Finally the camera focused on Manic flirting with some blonde girl. "Manic!"

Manic turned around, looking surprised. Jason threw his arm around Manic's neck and pulled him into a headlock.

"Happy birthday,Brother!" he yelled, hugging him. Manic hugged back, laughing out loud.

"Happy birthday, brother!"

"We are gonna so rule high school!" Jason howled, earning cheers from the party goers. "Wooooooooo!" Manic howled, tossing his head back like a wolf to the moon.

And that's where the video ended. Manic looked at Jason's paused face. Smiling and full of life. Not many didn't know the real Jason. Before High School and became a ruthless leader. The Jason he knew was fun, hilarious, kind, and loyal. But high school happened and their personalities changed. Jason became an instant football star and Manic built a reputation with Lola as the 'Never ever cross me' people. The better Jason got at football and Manic grew tougher, the higher the social status. The more him and Jason grew apart. It was slow and small, but it was happening.
Manic regrets not fixing things. But, he was done crying.

Manic sighed and closed the laptop. He got up and changed into pajamas (which was just pajama pants with no shirt) and when to bed. He kept thinking back to those good memories with Jason.
Then he started thinking about the night Jack was taken away.
Him and Lola were only 5 years old and it was raining outside. It all happened so quick, all he remembered were the Lightning clapping, wet clothes, blood and the smell of his mothers perfume. 'Remember, mijo...he is a psycho, he is no good, he is not gonna get to you..."

That was the last thought on his mind as he drifted into a deep sleep.

Hey guys!!
This was just an insight of what's really wrong with Manic.
Also to show you how he grieves privately. He's tough and cold on the outside but really, he's just an emotional being who's feeling tons of hurt because he lost his best friend.
He knew Jason before he turned into this spoiled asshole in high school. He grew up with him so I wanted it to hurt him the most and have him miss that character.
Now, I'm not gonna tell you why they were fighting but I will drop subtle hints here and there. I'm gonna let you guess on why they had a huge fight.
Also, you still have no clue who Jack is?
Don't worry you'll find out later

Questions time!!
1. Did you like this chapter?
2. How did you feel about Manic's hidden sadness? Can you relate?
3. What do you like about Manic's character?
4. What's your favorite part of the story so far?

See ya next update!