─ xxiii. gallows

Start from the beginning

"That, I'll agree to." Manic said, pointing at him.

But Betty looked visibly upset at that prediction. "Oh, my god. Is that possible?"

"It's a theory. Yours is more likely." Jughead said, standing next to Lola. "But why would he have to run away from mommy and daddy?"

"Because they're redhead wannabe Addams family who believe in incest, I see." Lola mumbled angrily herself. Jughead put his arm around her shoulders and placed a light kiss near her ear.

"You're more of the Addams family, baby." Jughead commented, earning himself a playful slap on the chest. "But why, specifically."

"Manic, did Jason say anything to you the day before he died?" Betty asked, leaning forward. Manic, feeling like he said the same story a hundred times, sighed loudly while rubbing his eyes. "Me and him got into a huge fight and after that, I didn't see him."

Betty leaned back, sighing in defeat. "Well, we can't exactly ask them."

"What, like a poltergeist?" Manic asked.

Jughead nodded. "No, dead men tell no tales"

"But their bedrooms and houses do," Lola finished, already knowing what he was talking about. Manic sat up, looking at the both of them. He looked really interested. "That actually is not a bad idea."

Betty raised her eyebrows, also agreeing with him.
Not a bad idea at all.

-

Saturday came super fast. No one had time to register that this was Jason's final goodbye. Surely, not Manic. And not Lola either. Caramia and Geovani left early to help with final preparations. Manic walked out of his room dressed in all black. Black dress shirt, black tie, black suite, black shoes. Black demeanor.

Lola walked out of her room also in all black.
(Outfit below⬇️⬇️⬇️)

She stood next to her brother in the hall and grabbed his hand

She stood next to her brother in the hall and grabbed his hand. Manic gently squeezed her hand, tears threatening to fall underneath his sunglasses. She looked at him with a heartbroken look. This was hurting him inside. She could feel it in her. Twin telepathy was a powerful thing between them. It made her want to cry.

"You ready?" She whispered.

Manic didn't say a word. But only nodded, suppressing a sob.
Together, hand in hand, they walked out of their big house together, keeping each other strong for the last goodbye.