Twenty-Nine | Penguins Bite

29

It had been a whole night and I didn't get any calls from Landon about Eric's pack trying to banish or kill him. Which was always a relief but it wouldn't hurt the kid if they chased him for a few blocks. He honestly needed to think before his actions. I'm not a bad friend, if they did run him out of town, I'd help him... after a few moments of needed justice.

"I feel like I should check up on Landon" I informed the pack as we gathered at the top of the staircase on the second level.

"Did you even get any sleep at all?" Jessica asked, placing a concerned hand on my arm. I gave her a soft smile. Despite finding the mental image of Landon being chased, I had worried myself all night. I think I only slept a maximum of two hours last night. It didn't help that within those two hours I had strange dark nightmares that woke me up.

"I'm fine, I'll catch up on some sleep tonight" I told them, ceasing their worries. They were always too concerned about me. I was stronger than they thought. Well that's what I've convinced myself so.

"As usual we'll write down all the important notes and homework for you" Hailey grinned, rolling her eyes at my inconsistent attendance at school. She was honestly a saint sometimes.

"And I'll make sure to bring you something sweet, 'as usual'" I told her, with my own smile. And with that we parted our ways. Them getting breakfast ready and me leaving to drive to Eric's place. Dad was still at the hospital with mum so his car was available and man was it good to be driving such a privileged vehicle. It had seat warmers for Christ sake! My chilled bottom could defrost in the cold weather.

Knocking on the door of his house, I waited patiently. Hearing footsteps coming closer I arranged myself to be greeted by Tessa, Eric's mum but all I got was him. The very person I found incredibly hard to avoid and resist.

"Charlie" he spoke my name, in muffled surprise. He wasn't expecting me, well not this early I assume. Last time I checked it had only showed 7am.

"That's my name" I replied, pushing my way past him, careful not to touch him. I didn't need to waken my wolf up nor did I feel the need to give him adoring kisses on his kissable lips.

I wandered into the foyer, making my way to the lounge that looked mildly different without it being filled with pretentious rich snobs. I heard Eric trailing behind me, falling onto the two seater couch, me copying his movements. I ignored his arm settling comfortably behind me on the wall of the couch. Not touching me but my body was fully aware at how close he suddenly was now.

"Where's Landon?" I asked, trying to distract myself and trying to avoid looking at his face.

"He's not here" he simply said with a shrug. I leaned forward in confusion, twisting to stare at him now. It was just too hard to resist staring into his crystal eyes.

"Where is he?" I asked, remembering the mental image of him being chased by wolves out of the territory. Sure I said it would be funny, but I never thought it would happen.

"Chill, he's with my dad. He thought he should meet your dad who's awake now" he filled in, turning his stare away from me to the TV he just turned on.

"Well then, I guess I should go there instead..." I trailed off awkwardly. He should have just told me this at the door.

"You look tired" he stated plainly. I didn't even try to use makeup to conceal the dark circles under my eyes. It wouldn't have worked anyway.

"I didn't sleep very well" I breathed out, no use of pointless lies. I took in the natural sharpness of his jaw, not even ashamed to admit that he was one of the most gorgeous people I've ever seen.