Sixteen | Late Shifter

ERIC'S POV

Her defiance echoed around my head while I carelessly skated down the hallways. I had come to school late from sleeping in and didn't feel the necessary need to go to P.E. Especially with how sore my muscles were this morning. I had woken up in pain, mostly running up and down my legs and arms. Last night had to have been the longest I've ran at that intense speed. It was painful and pitiful for an Alpha to admit.

"Mr. Luca, skipping class once again and today you decided riding your skateboard was appropriate indoors! I'm beginning to enjoy our little meetings" his loud voice in the empty space made me realize I rode into the wrong section of the school.

I inwardly groaned, snatching the already written detention slip from his hand and turning my board around to the direction of my father's office. No use in using my alpha tone on humans. It'll either have them pee their pants or following me in fear. I didn't feel like having the implications of a mundane attending to every need and word I say. It would get annoying, very fast.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement to the office lady, she was one of the members in our pack. She had two kids, one in primary school and the other a few years below me. Her family was a well working addition to our pack.

"Liam, it's worrying me" I heard the present Beta say within my father's large office. Anyone within my pack would automatically recognize their leader's voices. It was a natural instinct to our wolves. Nonetheless, I walked into the room, uncaringly.

"Eric, what are you doing here?" my dad asked, his eyebrow noticeably raised curious. I gave him a grin, lifting the pink paper in my hand into his eyesight before plopping myself down into the chair. Wincing slightly when I felt my bones give out a sliver of pain.

"David, as I was saying, it's very unlikely she's a late shifter. She would have changed by now" he continued, turning back to his second in command without a second glance at me.

"I don't know; I can't explain it but somethings different about her. She isn't a wolf but I can't help but think it may happen soon" he elaborated, leaning forward on the desk between the two powerful wolves. David's shoulders from here looked tense yet his tone of voice and eyes seemed tired. Like he wasn't sure about anything. It was very rare when the Beta of this almighty seemed reluctant and unsure. But as always a male parent is just as protective as much as his partner and mate. When it came to his family, David would do anything to ensure they were safe and happy.

"Maybe she's gifted with other abilities, like sensing when there's other wolves. I heard she caused quite a stir the day she came back. She had given your son's friends quite a fright when she one by one said their names while they were in wolf form" he said, a smile tugging at mouth. David's eyebrows rose commercially. He obviously hasn't heard about this story.

"But I must admit, if she can do that then we should keep a close eye. If she's a late shifter she's dangerous to mundanes" my father commented seriously, he sat back in his chair, leaning back in thought. "I suggest someone watched over her at all times" he proposed staring directing at David in question.

His lips were pressed thin as he had a moment to think for himself before letting out a sigh, nodding his head. "I was going to volunteer, but I'm her dad. She would suspect if suddenly I was beside her all the time."

"Maybe your son-1" he was cut off.

"I can do it" I said before I could even comprehend the words from coming out of my mouth. Slightly surprised, I stayed silent as their gazes shifted onto me, almost like they momentarily forgot I was still in the same room as them. Of course they did. I was still only a child to them, not the next future alpha to this pack. Just a secondary thought.