Nineteen | Put down

hey guys sorry it took so long for me to upload but i had heaps of studying to do, trust me it was a lot

------------------------------------------------------------

19

DAVID'S POV

It was around twelve in the afternoon when I sensed movement from Charlie's level. I held back an eye roll, teenagers and their odd need to sleep in. Growing warily as only one set of footsteps actually made it down the staircases she walked through the doorway. Still in her blue coloured flannel pajamas and her hair tied into a bun. The picture warmed my heart, no matter her constant growing she still resembled the little girl that used to wake up early to watch cartoons while demanding that candy was an acceptable form of breakfast.

Breathing in deeply I caught the smells of my mate Claire, lavender and roses along with the delicious smells of the pasta she had only just finished cooking. Though a brief alarm went through my head. I couldn't pick up the scent of my daughter. She lacked any noticeable smells beside her perfume. How odd.

"Sleeping beauty finally awakes" my mother commented from beside me with a smile on her face. No doubt thinking about the memories of our only daughter.

"Very sorry, I've just been so tired recently" she replied sheepishly, plopping into a chair in front of us. Despite her long sleep she still looked exhausted. Her eyes dark.

"Anyway, I think it's time you explain everything about last night" I spoke up, always the last on to speak. Charlie nodding her head, tucked the chair closer into the table leaning her head on top of her hand.

"Were you really at the airport picking up Jessica's cousins?"

"Yes"

"What are their names?"

"Bella and Blue, there twins"

"How long will they be staying here?"

"I wouldn't know, a while I reckon"

"Are there going to be anymore visitors I should be aware of? Because despite this house being large I don't think we can accommodate anymore"

She shook her head no.

"Now to discuss punishment for not calling us of your whereabouts" Claire whispered an evil grin on her face. Making Charlie squirm in her seat, her eyes glancing at her lap.

"I have a reading club that I attend to quite regularly and we need someone to help cater to place" she informed her. Charlie slowly lifted her head, her face a mask of confusion.

"You want me to serve your friends as punishment?" she asked for confirmation, her expression still one of bewilderment.

"Yes. But just you, your friends are to stay home under house arrest. I may not be their mother but if they are living under my roof then they will be treated as if they were my children" she said her voice firm and parental. I gleamed at her, this odd woman was my wife.

"-alright" she agreed hesitantly, with a shrug of her shoulders.

"So when do I start?"

"There's actually a meeting this afternoon at five. Dress nicely and be ready" she said before pushing her chair back and standing. She walked the short distance to the kitchen counter and began process of serving lunch to a bunch load of children who aren't even mine. The thought was actually fairly an odd one to think.

Charlie catching my attention, gave me an amused smile. "I feel like she's out of touch with the grounding system" she commented holding back a laugh as I agreed.

"When you left for boarding Jake and his friend's reins were tightened. They learned to grow up and so it's very rarely they need to be reprimanded.

"Interesting" she said with a hushed voice.

A slight vibration in my pocket notified me that I was get a call. Excusing myself from the table I quickly walked to my office, locking the door behind me. Looking down at the phone in my hand I saw the caller ID. It was Liam.

"Hello?" I answered sitting behind my desk.

"David border patrols just discovered roughly ten bodies near the North east border. Looks to be rogues who were put down" he started getting straight to the point. Sucking in a breath, I stood up gathering my surroundings. Over my lifetime of being within the pack we've always dealt with a feral wolf here and there but the thought of a rogue pack was something different. It was unheard of. Never have we heard whispers of packs made up of them. It wasn't something that we thought could happen. With their instability to think and guide each other it should have ended in a blood bath.

"How long have they been like that?" I asked, leaning on the window sill and staring out to the forest that claimed the backyard.

"The pack's coroner says it happened late evening yesterday" he answered his voice tight. I can pick up from his tone that he wasn't impressed. How could we have gone this long without knowing that this had happened.

"Do we know who did it?" I couldn't help but ask the haunting question. Who had done this couldn't have done it alone. Fighting a wolf of a normal status was hard and strenuous, fighting an alpha or beta was sure to get you seriously injured and mostly killed. But to go against a rogue who only saw red was something different. They didn't think straight thus they were unpredictable. Fighting them was difficult and if you weren't specifically trained in large numbers to handle them then you had no real chance.

"That's the thing, they scoped the whole area. No other scents were picked her except for two unknowns. They followed the scent as far as they could, it was worryingly close to your house but the trail ends cold. Nothing else can be found."

I stared deeper into the trees, almost as if I had hopes in seeing the intruders within the bushes. Though nothing could be seen or heard. It was clear.

"Are you heading there now? I'll be there in ten" I asked, already walking out my office. Locking the door behind me with the key.

"I'll see you soon" and with that he hung up. Gripping onto my phone momentarily as I stared at the wall, I pushed it into my pocket before creeping out o the house through the front door. Making my way around the large structure and walking into the safety of the trees.

 --------------------------------------------------------

EDITED.

Vote! Comment! Fan!