Twenty-One | Bruised

hey guys sorry but i dont like the whole waiting for 65 votes since i've already finished this chapter so yeah :)

------------------------------------------------------

Laying bed on a Sunday should be relaxing. Sleeping in and just lounging about seemed like a dream. Sadly, I was the alpha of the pack and had primary duties so my needs were pushed to the side. Staring down my laptop, I shuffled between the screen and the stack of papers scattered around me. This was doing my head in but it had to be done. Everything in I was handling at the moment was part of my Sunday routine. Waking up early and completing it before the rest of my pack could disrupt me.

Glancing out my opened window, I ignored the harshness of the bright sun and stared longingly at nature. The still fresh memory of Eric's and I's little escape journey. He had been relaxed and quiet the whole time, seeming to only break out of his shell as we had neared my house. His idea of ditching the catering business seemed to mean wandering through the woods until he dropped me off for the night. He had the notion of attempting to help lead me through the darkness even though I didn't need it. But he didn't know that.

So I let him voice out his warnings of objects that had the potential to trip me along. It was oddly pleasant to be walking through the night with the stranger. His relaxed and cool attitude showed no tale signs of his old self before I left which made me think that he and his friends had begun to be trained soon after my departure. It explained why he didn't feel the need to bully me, or anyone else in that matter. Not once had I seen him say harsh comments to the humans at school.

He either ignored the humans or simply acknowledged their existence.

It was such a contradicting thought to the previous idea of him. My mind had then wandered over to the case of Jake. If Eric, who was the ring leader of the torment had changed then he would have had to as well. Quite possibly being the future beta himself. It did explain his sorrow during our huge blow up. He finally understood the extent of his actions.

Though before my thoughts could linger further into the situation, Eric had started up a conversation. Simply asking me about my life at boarding school. To which I gave him random details that either had him chuckling or raising an eyebrow. I was a reckless teenager back there, no doubt my former principal glad to have seen my friends and I leave.

He then dropped me off at the back door and left without another word.

Turning my attention back to my work I felt my phone vibrate beside me. Grabbing it I checked the caller ID. Grinning as I recognized his name. Picking up quickly I answered with a cheerily "Long time no call."

"I've missed your annoying voice too Charlie" he chuckled on the other side of the line. His voice light. I leaned back against the headboard, dismissing the work mess in front of me to give my full attention to the caller.

"Well it took bloody long to give your favourite person a call" I told him half sternly, my tone tinged with happiness. His laugh made me smile more.

"I'm sorry, I've been busy lately. A lot has happened recently" he apologized, though the end part of his sentence was what I paid attention to.

"What's happened?" I asked meekly. If he really didn't have time to call me then something seriously important must have happened. I could his tired sigh from my side, making me wince.

"Since you've left there have been random attacks of rogues all across the lands" he filled me in. I cringed. That wasn't good. There hadn't been many rogues to begin with when I had been there.

"The odd thing is that they weren't the mate less type. They were bitten kind" he spilled. I couldn't hold back a gasp. That definitely wasn't good and I could begin to feel the hairs on my arm begin to stand on end. This wasn't good.