Fourteen| Disturbed Peace

After the encounter with the infamous past-time jerk, Eric, I continued on with my never ending shopping list. Though I would be lying if I said my mind didn't drift back to the odd sensations that travelled through my arm momentarily before. It has disturbed the peace within my wolf, she kept pacing, twitching and shivering. It was distracting me from my actions. I had on multiple occasions grabbed the wrong item and only realised my mistake once I began to check-out my items.

Today has just been a very odd day.

Returning to my car my skin began to prickle, the hairs on my arm standing up. Scanning the area, I felt a pair of eyes on my back. The abrupt sound of a car engine caught my immediate attention as a black sleek car with tinted windows sped out of the parking lot. Rolling my eyes at their exaggerated effects of leaving I quickly forgot about the incident in the store and drove back home.

~~~~~

Unable to contain my wolf anymore, I excused myself from my pack who had found the families stock of board games and were currently in the middle of playing headbands. Making sure to avoid my parent's awareness, I snuck out of the back door, with skills sure to make a secret spy proud.

Removing my converse and socks by the door I felt the ground beneath me. The grains of grass soft against my skin and the rough texture of the dirt exciting me on the inside. Breathing in deeply the natural smells I let myself relax before madly dashing into the enclosure of the woods, leaving behind my human worries of the day.

ERIC'S POV

Tonight it was my shift to border our regions, as the future leader of this pack I had the responsibility to obtain my roles to ensure I am capable. Stretching my canine limbs, I surged forward into my section, speeding well ahead of scheduled time.

The moonlight was exceptionally bright and managed to light my way through the canopy of trees. Everything in wolf form was sharper, brighter, better. I could make out the lines of the edges of my packs region against foreign lands outside of it. My pack's border control had the responsibility to ensure no harm crossed into our lands. Thus the constant need to patrol around. The paths marked down by continuous use over the years the pack has resided here.

Ensuring to catch all scents around the borders of this forest I naturally breathed in deeply at allocated sections, slowing down every once in a while to inspect a strange smell, usually solved my a 'woodland creature' scrummaging on the ground. I slowed down my pace as the wind blew a particular smell into my direction. It smelt lightly of roses and cinnamon, a very odd combination. I felt my wolf suddenly jerk as the smell registered as unfamiliar. I alarmingly felt the need to follow it, obligated to search it out. 

Steering off track from my bordering path, I ventured into the deeper parts of the woods. Only a few alphas of this pack actually have inspected every inch of this large land for precautionary reasons. Nature was a tricky thing, even the best of wolves could get lost in lands unseen. 

A quick glimpse of white caught my attention. Turning my head to the left I let my eyes sharpen completely to the surroundings all the while maintaining my speed in the direction of the sweet smell. The colour had swiftly vanished as soon as it appeared.

The sound of pounding paws on the ground pricked my ears and alerted my senses. Something large was moving in this forest. Though deep down I knew it wasn't a threat I continued aware of any danger. Another stray of whiteness was apparent in front of me before disappearing behind a large tree trunk. Moving rapidly around it, the scenery became blurry around me, my sole focus on the animal running around me.

After running for what seemed like hours, I was positive it was another wolf I was chasing. This had almost instantly jolted me. The thought swarming all type of questions.

'how is this wolf?'

'how did they break through our borders?'

'how are they this fast?'

'how long have they been in this part of the forest for?'

'will I ever reach them?'

The longer I chased, the more aggravated my wolf became, most likely from the pursuit. Though I could feel myself tiring, I strained myself to keep the momentum but I had begun to feel the burn in my limbs. I'm slightly glad I let myself stretch thoroughly before my shift. It gave me peace knowing I wasn't going to completely be in pain tomorrow from this strenuous running.

Man can this wolf run, it doesn't even seem like they are slowly down. Peeking around into the dense bushes I came to realization that I actually had no clue as to where I currently was. This part of the forest was foreign to me, yet the wolf in front of me seemed to have the woods mapped out for it, twisting and turning at the right moments, trying to ditch me.

A surge of anger came over me, as the thought of this wolf being better than me, an alpha heir, settled into my mind. It should be impossible for a lesser wolf to be this fast and obtain this much endurance. It unnerved me. I felt my paws hit the grounds at an inhumanly fast pace, the wind wiping through my fur, cooling me down. My short pants to ensure I didn't all but pass out at this horrible work-out. I could feel the slightly pounding of a headache making itself prominent.

I had to stop before I passed out.

Coming to a slow halt, I watched as the slivers of white continued on without me. I looked around me once again into the dark shrubbery. I was completely lost and reeling in the fact that I lost against this rogue wolf.

I felt the sudden urgency to warn my father about this wolf, for who knows, it has the potential to be harmful to my pack. Though deep down, once again, I felt that it wasn't. The fact that I lost this wolf when I had been on it's tail for a long amount of time made me stop in my decision about informing my father. He would question the ability of this wolf, along with mine.

His son, an Alpha's son, in his prime, soon to take the most important role of a pack, unable to track down and catch a rogue wolf. He would surely postpone handing over his title. He wouldn't think I wasn't capable enough, he would even laugh bitterly.

Reeling once again, I made the prompt decision to hold all this information about this wolf from my father, in hopes that I can find it again tomorrow.

CHARLIE'S POV

He was quick I'll give him that. But I just happened to be faster.

I didn't quite understand how he managed to sense me, I had blocked off my scent and silenced my actions to the best of my abilities.

Though my wolf squirmed within me intensely for no apparent reason I continued to sprint away from the lone wolf and disappeared into my surroundings as he suddenly stopped, seemingly looking lost.

-------------------------------------------------------------

EDITED.

Fan! Vote! Comment!