Twenty | Catering and Ditching

hey guys uploading since i got 60 votes :)

The picture on the side resembles her outfit. -May I add her mother has fabulous taste?

-------------------------------------------------------

Looking at my reflection I stared at a girl. Her long red hair running down her body in wavy ringlets that no amount of product could straighten. Her bright green eyes lined with black eyeliner and smudged with a subtle hint of brown eyeshadow. Mascara needed to rid the harshness of her light colour eyelashes and her caramel tanned skin unmarked with only the deep shade of rosy cheeks. Her eyes leaving her face, they trailed down to what she was suggested to wear.

A dark denim button skirt matched with a light beige loose long sleeved shirt. The outfit was cute and presentable enough to be criticized by the other mothers in the pack. Ignoring the heels that my mother left out to try on, I slipped on a pair of black laced up flats. It was always easier to run at any moment given if you were wearing flat shoes. The thought of wearing heels during a time that I need to run and shift didn't seem safe nor pleasant.

I couldn't help the sigh that left my lips.

My pack members put up a slight protest at the prospect that they were grounded and not permitted to leave the house. Something they suddenly were very subjective about. I couldn't possibly understand why though. It wasn't like we ever left the house outside of school hours and for a pack run. We weren't the most social group in this town.

I on the other hand had been somehow hesitant with the whole idea that I would under the watchful eyes of mother's who formed a book club just to gossip with each other. It was a stereotypical gathering that I've watched too many movies of. At first I thought it would be a pleasant experience, my mother being lenient and not grounding me for a lifetime. But the thought of being watched like a hawk by people who I most likely wouldn't want to be in the same room as made me feel somewhat anxious.

Smoothing down my skirt for no particular reason I left the confinement of my room and walked down the stairs. My friends locked in their own rooms entertained by the new members of our pack. Reaching the last step, I saw my mother waiting by the front door dressed entirely too formal and nicely for just a book club meeting. She looked me up and down giving me a sly thumb up in approval.

Giving her a tentative smile I step through the now opened door and followed her to the parked car outside. As she sorted herself out at the front wheel I stared out the window, looking up as a flash of movement caught my eye. I could see the girls waving like crazy maniacs at me in encouragement. They probably felt my nervousness through the link and decided this was needed. I gave them a small wave back as the car launched to life and started to go down the street.

"Have you happened to see Jake at school yet?" my mother asked disturbing the silence. Her question disrupting my mental attempt to calm myself down. I stared at the side of her face as she continued to drive. The question seemingly casual yet the tightness of her hands against the steering wheel said otherwise. The thought of our sibling fight affecting her didn't fully register into my mind. She missed her son.

"Not yet" I finally answered, watching as her face fell for a brief moment. Feeling a pang in my heart, "Monday will be the start of a new week. Who knows what'll happen though" I said trying my best to help my mother through this. My lack of thought about Jake made me feel slightly guilty. Ever since our blow up I hadn't paid much attention to him. Sure I caught faint glimpses of him at school but that was it. He knew I needed space and he was giving it to me. If anything were to happen between us I would have to be the one to initiate it. I'll need to think about this situation another time because we had parked in front of a large house.