chapter fifty-two

I woke up in a room. The windows had bars on them, and everything was weird.
      "Lisa, do you know where you are?" A woman who was in the room said. I gripped the white sheets on my bed.
"N-no my names Jane" I said "where am I?"
"You are where you have been for the past two years. You're in a sphyc ward."

"I'm hallucinating." I began.

"Yes, you finally understand. Just remember that there is nobody named Matthew Espinosa that exists." She smiled.

"W-what? He's my husband, of course he exists!" I snapped.

"Lisa, your mom's worried about you. She wants you to get better." She smiled

"Are you crazy?! My mom's dead. My children are too. Look, I don't know where I am but I want to go home."

"You can go back home with your parents as soon as you get better." She smiled

"I haven't lived with my parents for two years! I live with my husband, and we have two children who passed away in a car accident, their names are Jenny and Augustus. My mom died in the wreck too." I said louder. I wasn't crazy.

"Look lisa. You were in a coma for a month. That's probably what you saw while you were away. It happens. You need to accept that it's not real. Now, you need to take your medicine, and then you have visitors." She smiled. She then got up and left.

Two hours later I took this medicine and then went downstairs to see whoever was visiting me.

"Lisa are you feeling better?" It was my mom.

"YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO BE DEAD! IT WAS YOU WHO KILLED MY KIDS! IF YOU WOULD HAVE STAYED AT HOME WITH THEM THEN THEY WOULD BE ALIVE!" I screamed. I grabbed the fork on the dining table we sat at and tried to attack her but I was stopped by two nurses, who took me to my room.

   How could I be crazy? How was that a dream I had during my coma?
I needed to see Matthew. I knew he was real. I just had to get out.

    Later that night when the medicine guy came to give me the pills I grabbed my pillow and suffocated him. I didn't care who I had to kill. I ran passed the door and out to the lobby where two nurses were on their phones. I tiptoed past them and out the front door.

     I went to the address of the house we had here. I remembered it clear as a bell. I went to the house.

When I got there I was nervous to go to the door. But I needed to know. I knocked on the door. I didn't care how stupid I would sound.

When the door swung open that's when I knew I wasn't crazy. It was him. It was Matthew.

"Matthew. Oh thank God I'm not crazy."

"Honey who's that?" A woman said coming to the door. She looked like... me?

"I'm Lisa... Lisa Newman." I said the name that the lady at the sphyc ward said earlier.

"Oh. I'm Jane Espinosa. This is my husband Matthew. They had painful looks it their eyes. Are you here about our kids, because of the accident?" She asked.

     I wasn't crazy.