Chapter 16

Taylor's POV

I felt calmer that my dad was going to be out of reach for Anthony. At least he was out of danger.

Tom hadn’t said a word to me the entire time we were driving as we swerved into the narrow road to the mansion. I glanced over at him as he was pursing his lips, seeming to be deep in thought.

He must be trying to figure out how to get this thing with Anthony straighten out. A huge burden had been laid on his shoulders, and he had offered to take it, just like that. I didn’t want him to have that load on his mind but I was utterly grateful I didn’t have to worry about my dad’s health.

"Tom you know it really wasn’t necessary for you to take over my dad’s mistake" I mumbled, as it seemed to snap him out of his thoughts as he flickered his eyes between the road ahead and me.

"Your dad wouldn’t have been able to get the money in time, you don’t know what Anthony does to people who are late with their debts"

A frown appeared on my face. I knew he was right. My dad was a simple, ordinary man who had no kind of way of protecting himself against Anthony. I was utterly grateful that Tom decided to take his place but that didn’t mean I liked the idea one bit.

"But what says you can take his place?" I retorted with a small voice.

"Anthony has no choice. If I give him what he wants, he won’t care about your dad" he said as I started to feel very helpless.

"What does it mean for you Tom? He said you owed him" 

Tom glanced at me but quickly averted his eyes away before he fluently change the gear. 

"I know I am. But it’s for the best, your dad wouldn’t have had a chance against Anthony" he stated.

I was starting to feel a little panicked.

Tom couldn’t put himself in the danger of Anthony Graziano. Who knew what he would do when he had Tom in his hands. If there was something I knew about the mafia, it was that the bosses wanted to either have strong connections between each other for increased power or they wanted to wipe them out, one by one.

Tom had been the exception, he didn’t want to execute other mafia bosses for his own power, he didn’t need it. He used fear instead.

"But what says You will" I cried out powerless, the fear of something bad happening to Tom vibrating in my chest. Tom looked at me with a tilted head before pursing his lips again and a small smile tugged in the corner of them.

"Have you lost all trust in me Taylor?" He asked with a slightly amused tone.

"Tom this isn’t the time for your arrogance" I frowned at him and crossed my arms over my chest. Tom snickered a little bit, his childish humor reflecting in his face.

"Taylor it’s cute that you are worried about me, but do you remember what I have been doing for the past years" he asked, a soft smile creeping upon his face making my heart flutter the smallest amount.

Even though I wanted to smack him in the back of his head for being so annoying, he had a point. He wasn’t considered the most dangerous man in Japan for nothing.

"Can you just stop for once and think of the risks of this Tom" I pleaded and looked at him with serious eyes. He was still smiling a little bit, refusing to take this seriously or he was just simply enjoying my caring about him too much to stop.

"Don’t worry. I got this Taylor" he smiled and suddenly swerved up on the parking and stopped the car. Before I had the time to say anything more, he exited the car.